My current Urgent Care Practice is going to be changing over to a wRVU based system. The system will solely pay out a fixed rate for each wRVU on a monthly basis, with no hourly component. Does anyone have any experience and/or feedback with this type of system? Any input into the dollar amount per wRVU that is typical for an urgent care would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

^^^^^^^^  Agree with that!  No billing under the doc or you will get royally screwed.  Your employer should be able to show you the wRVUs and explain it to you.   Or attempt to explain.  It gets confusing. 

I worked in UC and was salaried.  The SP got an RVU for each patient we saw as part of his work for "supervising" the 2 PAs and 1 NP in the UC.  He made a boatload on us and NEVER, EVER, EVER worked in the UC.  He rarely would take a consult from us either.

That's one reason why I left that clinic. 

From what I understand, if you are a worker then you can make good money. One of the local clinics pays $20 per RVU on top of a guaranteed salary of $25k per year. See 25 Pts/shift, work 3 shifts per week, generate 8000 RVUs (depending on complexity) and you're set.

Unfortunately this is not the clinic I work for.

I'm sorry - I don't know what average pay per RVU is.  I have limited information.  It was more of an effort to show that with a fixed dollar amount (heck, even $10) per RVU you can make good money if you're willing to work. 

Out of curiosity - anyone know the average RVUs generated in different practice settings?  I'm in UC and did 8880 last year. 

RVUs are a dollar amount set by the AMA, and each CPT code has a certain number associated with it, and that number changes based on your practice area (geographic location). For example if the RVU is set at $25, and you bill for a DRE (or for a visit, whatever) and for your area the factor for that is set at 2.53, then $63.25 (25x2.53) would be paid.

Now that I re-read this, it's likely that most of you already know this. "How'd you get out of the kiddie pool? Where's your floaties?!"

STUDENT ALERT!!!

Archived