Just received an interview and started an ABSN program help!!!

I just received an interview invite for 2 weeks from now..which I am very divided and pleasantly surprised. I just started an accelerated BSN program that I originally applied to because I seriously doubted that I was competitive enough, and had put PA school out of consideration until after getting my BSN. What do you guys think? I have to consider the loans I have for this program as well. The school also doesn't know that I am in this program because I honestly just abandoned the application process. Please help!

If you have already started the program, why not just continue until you are accepted? You will know if you have been accepted within a few weeks after the interview....at most, a few months. If you are not accepted you can continue the BSN program and have a career that will help your chances for the next cycle and allow you to earn a decent income. If you are accepted, can you withdraw from the nursing program and get a refund of some of the tuition? I'm not a PA yet and don't have that debt on my shoulders so, take my 2 cents with a grain of salt.

You could just tell them that, while you were waiting around to be accepted in a PA program, you decided to take some more coursework.

No one should expect you to stand by breathlessly while awaiting their finally deciding to call you in for an interview. A buddy of mine was ready to go to the police academy the next morning when he was suddenly accepted to PA school off the wait list.  Our lives go on as we follow our own Plan Bs until Plan A appears.

Good luck!

Thanks..I am just worried that once they learn that I am in the BSN program they will question my intentions.  Obviously I would be honest about it.  Thanks for the input.

I think I misunderstood your question. I agree with the statement above. Your life doesn't stop because you applied to PA school. I wouldn't say that I just gave up on the process and went in another direction. Put a more positive spin on it.

I did it to make myself a more competitive applicant in case and to have a backup career that I would really enjoy in case PA school never worked out.  So PA/NP is still the ultimate goal.  But at this point I love the program that I am in and it might be in my best interest to reapply to PA school next year and have a chance of getting interviews at more schools.

That's your call -- keep doing what you're doing or go for the interview. Your "best interest" is for you to determine.

You might consider doing the interview anyway, if only for the learning experience. One of my life theories is that it is often best to put yourself in a situation if only to see how you feel about it when you get there. If you interview and they accept you, then you can decide whether to take the slot or stay on your current path. 

Archived