Advice Please! - Prereqs

Hello!

I need some advice regarding which classes to take this semester. To give you a little background information: I graduated from Clemson University with a degree in biology. When I started at Clemson I was in the international business program and very unhappy with my major and very immature. During this time I took several common PA school prerequisites (general chemistry I and II, general biology I, human anatomy and physiology I) as general ed requirements and electives. This was very unfortunate timing because I ended up earning Cs in these classes. Once I discovered my love for medicine, and grew up a little bit, I changed my major to biology and earned over 40 hours of As in junior and senior level science courses. After I graduated I got my EMT certification and having been working as an ER Tech for over 9 mos. As a result, I have a little more than 1500 hours of HCE so far. Last semester I took microbiology and medical terminology at a community college and earned As in both. My cumulative GPA is now a 3.42 and my science GPA is a 3.39.

I want to be accepted next year so I would like to take two more classes this semester to help improve my chances. I am debating between taking abnormal psychology and human growth and development (I only took one social science class at Clemson) or retaking two of the prereq classes that I earned Cs in. Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions, suggestions? I have e-mailed ten different PA schools with the same question but their responses were vague and not very helpful. 

Thanks and I look forward to reading your responses! 

If you earned a C in A&P I would suggest retaking it if possible.  I think programs look at that class very heavily since it is the basis for understanding the human body.  Also, if you are admitted, it would be a great review before you take A&P again in PA school!  Keep buliding those HCE hours too.  You can never have too many.  Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your replies! I was definitely leaning towards retaking those courses but I was hesitant because the new grades will be averaged into my old grades instead of replacing them. Therefore my overall and science GPA would not improve that much. 

Yea they will be averaged and not replaced, but re-taking them shows them that you matured and you can handle the subject.

When I was in an interview this cycle,  one of the girls in my group had received a "C" on her gen chem I class.  Well, they asked her why she never retook the class and why did she settle for that grade……...

Archived