Looking for help

I am retired HMC/IDC.  I retired in 2006.  I have been working as an EMT and organizing international health care teams since retiring.  I have a bachelor's.  My CASPA cGPA is 2.98.  I have applied through CASPA for three cycles.  I have applied to over 20 schools.  I have had zero interviews.  I know that I have the experience to get into PA school.  I know for sure 100% that being a PA is my passion and my "Calling."  But obviously I am doing something wrong.  I know my GPA is not stellar but I know that I fit into some program, somwhere.  I am looking for someone that has made the transition from HMC and/or IDC to PA that would be willing to "coach/mentor" me through this process.  If you could offer some assistance please pm me.  Thanks

Having worked with IDC's I know you are a great candidate for PA school, although, that GPA really hurts you on paper.  If you have applied to that many schools it must be that your GPA is the problem.  The only way to change that is to head back for some more credits to off set your current GPA.  There is the possibility that one of your letters of recommendation or your personal statement was lacking.  You never can be too sure.  Go back over them with someone else who has professional editing experience.  Have you applied to MEDEX?  I know they are more HCE focused and may be more accommodating with your lower GPA.  I am sure that if you get an interview and appear humble you will win them over.  You just have to get over the hurdle of Admissions, and I think that GPA may be really holding you back.  I hope this helps.

I would consider looking at either a post bac or better yet a one year masters, perhaps in Public Health. I think the GPA is killing your chances right now. I agree with the above about focusing on schools that focus on healthcare experience. Look at MEDEX, UNC's new program, Northern AZ, South College, or Pacific University. The benefit of Pacific is they look at just the last 45 credit hours for your GPA, I would look for a few other programs like that.

Chief,

Check this link out.  Military friendly schools.  My school Drexel is on there and it is yellow ribbon.  Key is gpa, great LORs, pre-req classes grades, and applying early.  You already have the health care experience.  If you have any questions please shot me a message. 

http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/veterans/paprograms.html

V/r,

LTJG Kopp

Drexel is, in fact, pretty military friendly from the point of view of the program director.  He has been actively recruiting both vets and active duty folks for several years now.

I have to agree with the others, as well.  It seems, based on what you've shared with us, your GPA is your big sticking point.  That's gotta come up.  Perhaps an improved GPA, in combination with the HCE emphasis schools mentioned above, will offer a more favourable outcome to you.

Hang in there.

Archived