How to become a more competitive applicant

Hi all and happy new year!

I was hoping I could get some suggestions on what I can do to be the best applicant I can be for the 2014 CASPA cycle.  Here are my basic stats:

Graduated with my BA in 3 years magna cumme lade with ~3.97 GPA, unfortunately I didn't have many science classes.

Worked as an EMT full time + (typically 80 hours a week) for 3 years, and as a paramedic for 1.5 (will be 2 by application).  

Graduated my paramedic program which was 59 credits in a 1 year span (was a 2 year program but they condensed it after the request of the main EMS agency, gotta love politics...), with a 4.0 and top of my class.  

I am taking bio 1&2, chem 1&2, a&p 1&2, and microbiology at an accelerated, accredited in person university between now and July / September.  I realize that not having them done earlier may be a hinderance to my application to some schools.   

I am considering taking other science classes through UNE (physics and medical terminology), do you think those would be worth while to take?  Are there any other classes I should look into taking?  

2 of the programs I want to apply to also require Spanish, however I'm unable to get into the Spanish classes at my local CC, as a non-degree student I get last chance to register for classes, and thus far they've all been full with 20+ people on the waiting list, so I'm not sure what to do for that.

I plan on shadowing a few PAs in different fields, haven't figured out all the logistics to that yet.

Aside from doing well in my upcoming science classes, is there anything else people can recommend that I do to increase my chances of acceptance to PA school? 

Your grades and HCE look good, but I don't think you will be able to have all the pre-reqs done for the 2014 cycle. You have yet to shadow a PA so you do not have an LOR from a PA which is very important.

I say slow down, don't rush all the pre-reqs because you might hurt your GPA. Plan your classes, get some shadowing and make connections with some PAs then apply on 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your grades and HCE look good, but I don't think you will be able to have all the pre-reqs done for the 2014 cycle. You have yet to shadow a PA so you do not have an LOR from a PA which is very important.

I say slow down, don't rush all the pre-reqs because you might hurt your GPA. Plan your classes, get some shadowing and make connections with some PAs then apply on 2015.

I completely disagree with the above!! If you can do medic school in one year and finish top of your class, you can finish all your pre-reqs by most program deadlines this summer!!!

I majored in church ministry with a GPA of 2.8 and took my very first science class last winter... Earned a 3.96 in my pre-reqs for a whopping 3.1 CASPA cGPA ... Long story short: I start at MEDEX in March! It is very possibly my friend!!

My advice:

1) THOROUGHLY research the pre-reqs for the programs you want to apply to and make a detailed list in excel.

2) Research course prerequisites at the college you're taking your sciences at. You will likely have to limit your course load based on the time you have so chose VERY wisely!! This will directly determine which programs you can apply to - in essence you will be designing your course load for these programs.

3) Start writing your personal statement as early as possible... You will feel like it is crunch time from now until you submit in August.

4) SUBMIT YOUR APP EARLY!!

5) Be sure to plan for you're GRE! The break between spring Qtr and Summer Qtr is when I took mine.

Good luck!!

Medical terminology would probably be justified, but why physics? So far as I know most PA schools do not require this course and it's fairly useless when it comes to medicine from what MDs/DOs have told me. If you're hellbent on taking more science courses, or need to for your application, go with Biochemistry or some other biological science course which would be far more pertinent than physics. Your course load is no doubt heavy and it will be an arduous couple of semesters but it's doable (especially considering your superior academic performance in the past, kudos to you).

You have great HCE as a paramedic and EMT so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Definitely start volunteering if your schedule allows it this can open doors not only for shadowing and LORs in the immediate future but will facilitate networking down the road when you're applying for jobs. And obviously, as mentioned, shadowing needs to happen. Other than that, do great in your classes, prepare well for the GRE, get solid LORs, perfect your personal statement and maybe even do some other type of non-clinical volunteering, again if your schedule allows it. Good luck, you'll undoubtedly be a solid applicant when it's time to apply.

I agree with HM2PA and Baloo, they are giving you good advice. I would just add not to stress too much about racking up tons of shadowing hours. I have a very similar background to you; 4.0 gpa (undergrad and science) and several years in EMS as an EMT and medic. I did not shadow a single PA and I received interview invites to all but one of the six schools I applied to this cycle, as well as multiple acceptances. I am not saying that shadowing isn't important, it is, but having lots of hours definitely isn't essential to get accepted if you've got good experience and LORs. I would also consider forgoing physics in favor of organic chem or biochem, which will be much more useful. I took biochem through UNE and it was a good experience. It was also much more relevant than a physics course would be. Good luck in your journey!

Other than doing well in your classes, get excellent and personal LORs, ace the GRE, and write an incredible personal statement.  You've already got the GPA and HCA, so what else is there?  Without knowing if you have any shadowing done or volunteer hours to count, it's hard to say whether or not you should do more of those.  I had 400 volunteer hours over the past eight years and zero shadowing hours, and still got interviews at all the schools I applied to.  

You'll need to decide if you want to apply early with courses in progress or apply later with grades posted; each has it's advantages and disadvantages.  Will you be working during this semester?  If so, your course load would be way too much for someone like me to handle--my time as a medic has had me running the most calls when I had homework/studying to get done.  Make sure you get As in all your classes, as the last sixty hours you've taken and your pre-requisite classes are the most scrutinized.  Good luck. 

I forgot to add this in my previous post - IMO, I think it's better to apply early and have courses listed as in progress or planning to take rather than waiting to submit your CASPA app when you've finished a semester. I was in the same position this cycle and decided to apply early, even though I still had five pre-req's outstanding. It didn't seem to hinder me at all, though it could be different for you depending on the schools you're looking at. Most schools address this issue somewhere on their website so you should be able to get a feel for how each school handles it.

Thank you everyone for the advice!  

The GRE had slipped my mind, I definitely plan on taking that.

The main school I'm taking my prerequisites at doesn't follow the typical semester/ quarter schedule, each class is a month long, and you only take one at a time.  This works perfectly for my science classes, as someone else mentioned, the classes being prerequisites for the other ones I need could work against me in a typically scheduled college.  I start classes in just a few days, so hopefully they work out well!  As far as the concern with classes being too much, in the past I have actually done better when I am overloaded, I am much more productive when I don't have down time (hopefully that will continue for my prerequisites and into PA school, if I get accepted!) 

A few of you mentioned that physics isn't a common requirement.  My main reason for listing it is that it is a requirement at the college close to my family.  If I could get in there I would save a ton of money by living at home, at the tuition is cheaper also.  However the more I look at it I don't really think that is the best program for me (doesn't have a great reputation, and clinicals seem quite limited), so I'm not sure if I should worry about taking the physics class and applying to that school...  

As far as my application goes, I wasn't sure when would be the ideal time to submit it.  Too early and many of my classes will still be in progress/ planned.  Some of the schools I plan on applying to allow no more than 2 outstanding prerequisites at the time of application (some even less).  Am I able to complete my CASPA, submit it to some schools, then go back and add the new transcripts when more classes are completed, prior to submitting my application to other schools?  

A few of you mentioned that physics isn't a common requirement.  My main reason for listing it is that it is a requirement at the college close to my family.  If I could get in there I would save a ton of money by living at home, at the tuition is cheaper also.  However the more I look at it I don't really think that is the best program for me (doesn't have a great reputation, and clinicals seem quite limited), so I'm not sure if I should worry about taking the physics class and applying to that school...  

Simply put, don't apply to that school! The money you save will be negligible if you have subpar clinical rotations, which double as networking opportunities, and it's unfortunate but reputation as well will hinder you in a competitive job market. Apply to the best programs that you feel will be a good fit for you professionally. Take a look at their mission statements, PANCE pass rates, clinical rotation sites and what, if any, areas they emphasize in medicine to see what fits you best. If you have to take a little bit more loans out for basic sustenance living while in PA school so be it. If you stay on budget (which will be easy because you'll be studying with bulk of your free time) you'll be fine, that amount won't impact your monthly payments too much and you'll just factor it into your monthly budget with your first job, which will likely be a better one than if you went to this less reputable program near home. Good luck!

As far as things that are not related to academics, (as everyone seems to only have looked at HCE and classes thus far), start researching the history of the pa profession, how it developed, where it is headed today. Weigh your options and come up with reasons why you feel PA is best for you.

These types of intangibles can seperate you from the rest of the pack, or atleast from people who havent thought about it.

Archived