Interview help!

How did you practice for your interviews? I'm trying to study and practice for my interviews, and I'm stuck at the most basic question, "Why PA?" I know for a fact that I want to become a PA, and I have listed multiple reasons why. When it comes to practicing (reading my answers outloud) I feel like it sounds so scripted, and it just doesn't sound real. Sometimes i get lost into my answers and transition somewhere else. I was told to be as genuine as possible, but at what point should i give up on perfecting the answer and move onto the next question? 

I know I have the motivation and the passion for PA school, but I'm a nervous wreck. I keep getting scared my answer isn't the "right answer". I mean, what is the right answer?? I'm told to be myself, but honestly, how do I be myself and act professionally??

Now I'm questioning if my reasons to become a PA is even legitimate. 

I have worked on this question the whole day, and I'm just going into circles with my answers. 

Does anyone have any tips for interview practicing?

I've finished the book, How to ace the physician assistant school interview. It has helped a lot, but not on that particular question..

I feel your pain. It's great that you are concerned with your answers but I am concerned that you are over-rehearsing. If everyone reads the same book and does the same thing, there is a good chance that the admissions committee will think you are all robots!

It's important to know why you want to be a PA -- the main points anyway. Then just relax and answer whatever questions you are asked like you were just asked them, not by spitting out a memorized answer. Be yourself. Don't run on too long with the answers or think that you have to get every conceivable point in. You might be in a small group interview and everyone is being asked the same questions; be ready to build on the answers of others.

The committee already has your grades, your letters of recommendation, and your personal written statements. They want to know who you actually are by talking with you. Don't waste the opportunity by regurgitating pat answers. 

Relax and good luck!

I agree with the over rehearsing! Here was my experience:

I am a good public speaker and a pretty good interviewer. And I am notorious for just winging everything and making it work. But because the stakes were SO high, I bought and read Andrew Rodicans book (the one you have) and started practicing. Unfortunately, I ran into the same problem you are. I sounded forced and rehearsed. Have your family or someone who knows you really well practice with you. My mom was able to tell me I wasn't coming across as myself and was way too practiced. Eventuallly, I learned the major bullet points of my questions, and just talked honesty at all of my interviews. I found them all to be much more conversational than anything, and the preparation I did only helped with maybe 2 questions out of all three schools! But what you gain is the ability to go in there feeling confident that you can handle everything they ask. That book is a great resource! Just relax and don't focus on memorizing your answers. It worked for me. I got into 2 of the 3 schools I interviewed at so far. His book is awesome. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived