Home Care Plan for Opthalmic Shunts

I saw 14 y/o male today with shunts. He came to us through the foster child system so no previous charts only his vague hx.. I have never encountered someone, ped or adult, with opthalimic shunts. The foster mom wants to know about home care plan? It will take me about a week to get him to opth.. Can anyone help me on this?

With a long history in ophthalmology, I have not heard of a home care with ophthalmic shunts. As long as the intraocular pressure is adequate then the shunts are working well.  The two types that I have seen used are the Ahmed and the Baerveldt.  This young man probably had congenital glaucoma which resulted in the placement of the shunts and he possibly had multiple other lasers/surgeries to correct the pressure before the placement of the shunts.   

Some patients get some irritation due to the conjunctiva being thinned and raised.  Frequent over the counter artificial tears are recommended for comfort.  

Archived