Air Force, anyone?

Another daunting question I have: what could joining the air force or any military program do to help me get into PA school? I've often heard of people making a "deal with the devil" by serving in a branch of the military actively for several years and in return, getting PA school paid for. My dad even said his military PA friend said something about a military PA program in San Antonio that'd take me before undergrad! Is any of this true? Can anyone elaborate on this kind of thing? I probably don't know what I'm talking about so I figured there might be a few military PA's out there. What's this all about, guys?

The military PA school is one school for all of the branches. Imagine how competitive that is and then square it. The minimum academic prereqs are low and so are the minimum hce reqs, but you're limited to that one school and competing against 10 year corpsman plus there are minimum rank and time in service requirements.

I considered trying for it while I was active, but figured my chances were better in the civilian world where I could apply to multiple schools and increase my odds. The military paid for my undergrad and gi bill will pay for PA school.

Sometimes you can get them to let you out temporarily to pursue a particular program. Not guaranteed, and probably tough. And I think you go back in with your same job and paygrade and have to compete for a position in your new career area.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

Another daunting question I have: what could joining the air force or any military program do to help me get into PA school? I've often heard of people making a "deal with the devil" by serving in a branch of the military actively for several years and in return, getting PA school paid for. My dad even said his military PA friend said something about a military PA program in San Antonio that'd take me before undergrad! Is any of this true? Can anyone elaborate on this kind of thing? I probably don't know what I'm talking about so I figured there might be a few military PA's out there. What's this all about, guys?

Go look at the interservice physician assistant program (IPAP). You would have to take some undergrad courses at least, and also you would probably be doing something for the military for a few years since you have to enlist BEFORE you can apply.

Get a scholarship.

This fiscal year, the Air Force is offering no scholarships and the Navy has switched all of their spots to the HSCP option which gives you pay and benefits of E6 but you are on your own for tuition costs.

As far as IPAP is concerned, at lest for the Navy, you better be $#!t Hot in academics and have picked up second class or be in the special operations community as they have about 15 spots a year.  As far as numbers go the Army gets the most slots a year; however, regardless of how good your package is your chain of command has a huge impact on you getting a seat and can make it DOA if they have issues with you going.

Archived