School Recommendations for Working Paramedic

I'm a working EMT/Paramedic and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for schools that emphasized health care experience over pre-reqs. Don't get me wrong I'm still working on getting all of my pre-reqs done, but was trying to find some schools where my experience would take me a little farther. Stanford is the biggest option where I'm at, but I was hoping to check out other schools as well. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

You should check out Riverside Community College.

The cost is affordable too (I think its like $32K if you do the masters option through university of st francis). 

http://www.mvc.edu/academicprograms/pa/

Prerequisites:

• AMY-2A and AMY-2B (Anatomy and Physiology I, II) One-year series, total 8 semester units
  • CHE-2A (Introductory Chemistry I) 4 semester units
  • ENG-1A (English Composition) 4 semester units
  • MAT-35 (Intermediate Algebra) 5 semester units
  • MIC-1 (Microbiology) 4 semester units
  • PHY-10 (Introductory General Physics) 3 semester units
  • PHY-11 (Physics Lab) 1 semester unit
  • PSY-1 (General Psychology) 3 semester units
  • SOC-1 (Introduction to Sociology) 3 semester units OR ANT-2 (Cultural Anthropology) 3 semester units

It is strongly recommended that applicants complete the following additional courses:

• Spanish one-year
  • Statistics (MAT 12)
  • Special topics in English: The Research Paper Process (ENG 90B) or an equivalent
  • Medical Terminology1A and 1B

* Anatomy and Physiology and Microbiology must include a lab, and have been taken within the last five years with a combined minimum GPA of 2.7. If Anatomy and Physiology and Microbiology were taken more than five years ago, at the time of application, the courses (Anatomy and Physiology and Microbiology) must be repeated before applying to the program. If the courses are not repeated, the application will be deemed incomplete and will not receive any further consideration for admission. An overall GPA of 2.5 is required for the general education courses.

Clinical Experience Requirements

In addition to the academic prerequisites, a minimum of 2,000 hours of paid "hands-on" patient care experience in the disciplines of medicine, nursing or allied health is required. Volunteer experience will not fulfill the patient care experience requirement and will not be considered. The following list provides examples of acceptable clinical experience:

• Registered Nurse
  • Licensed Vocational Nurse
  • Respiratory Therapist
  • Physical Therapist
  • Physical Therapy Aide
  • Radiological Technician
  • Paramedic
  • Emergency Medicine Technician (Emergency room based hours only)
  • Back Office Medical Assistant
  • Certified Nurses' Aide (hours need to be evaluated prior to approval)

Archived