Pediatric PA?

Hey everyone,

I am a 2nd year PA student on my third rotation. My second rotation was pediatrics which I thoroughly enjoyed, however, many times it was mentioned to me that pediatric PAs will make less than family medicine. I'm not all about the money, but by the time I am finished with school, my loans will be almost $200,000 and I want to be able to afford those as well as enjoy my job (asking a lot, I know). What are some suggestions anyone has or experiences that anyone has had in this field or related situations? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

You CAN make money in Peds.  Though the occasions for this are not as common (I am in FL so your mileage may vary).  However, some of the available Peds clinics/practices may be considered eligible for a either government funded loan forgiveness or payback so that will help. You can also do income based repayment on your loans which should help quite a bit.  At the end of the day, the loans will get repaid.  It is more important to do what you like and enjoy.  After you are out, if you do work in peds or if you can get an ER position (sometimes they have peds only openings, or ER openings at a children's hospital) you can always moonlight/PRN at a location to treat kids also.  

You still have a fair bit of school to go though, so there is a good chance you will change your mind a few times.  Keep at it.

Worked peds temporarily while waiting for hospital credentialing. Easy job to get. She hired both NPs and PAs. It was a pretty chill experience. Super funny kids and I lughed a lot. it was actually fun. Pay was low but good bennys. 80k but negotiated up by asking for a 3 month reveiw and so became 85k, (no peds experience) 401k vacation sick days health insurance employee only. great training. Started at 10 pt a day, then 15 then 20 up to 30 which was super busy. Average was 25 a day...totally doable. Charts done end of day. No call. I alway keep in my mimd i can run to peds if ER becomes to crazy! ;)

Archived