Army PA EM residency/doctorate

Re: Army/Baylor PA EM residency/doctorate.

I've become mildly interested in this program. While doing some research I've learned/been told:

Army PAs work mainly in primary care, not EM. However, if a PA completes this program then they are only guaranteed to work in EM for one year. After that, placement is needs based again.

The program is, apparently, a retention tool only at this point. Meaning, it would be next to impossible for a civilian PA joining the Army to gain entry into the program. That PA would have to do a four year tour and then apply as part of a retention incentive.

I really enjoyed my time in the Army. However, I just can't reconcile taking such a large pay cut and having to work in primary care for four years (watching my EM skills deteriorate) while waiting for a chance to apply to this program -with no guarantee of acceptance...

Continuing to work does not suffice unless your docs are willing to proctor you on adv. Procedures to get you the #s you need to be credentialed. After years of doing this there are still several procedures i am not credentialed for at my primary job. At my rural job anything goes. I think the iowa program is probably better but ny looks good as well.

The Army program is a great experience. The program was set up to mirror the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, EMPA program, which I am a graduate of. I can tell you that those PAs in that program get some great training as we all train together. Plenty of lectures and exposure to great cases. Actually, they rotate into the UT ER for more exposure because in that place, it's anything goes. That ER has some of the most proficient PAs I have ever seen (All former Army PAs). But if you're only in it for the advanced degree, NSU offers the same degree, and I actually think it's a little bit harder/more challenging. I'm in my last semester there and it's been hard. I was just getting back from Iraq after three years and I had the opportunity to do the Army program. I decided not to because I simply could not get my mind around doing all that training and being back in a battalion aid station in one year. I decided to write my own way and not incur any additional time owed. There are always ways to get what you need/want.

"When they first started the residency i spoke with the program's director at a conference and asked him about direct admission for civilians. "not a chance in hell" was his actual response"

Ahhh, except everything is waiverable in the military. It's usually a matter of speaking to the right person in the right position.

NSU offers the same degree, and I actually think it's a little bit harder/more challenging. I'm in my last semester there and it's been hard.

Maybe I found the wrong website. I mean no disrespect to your program, but this (from NSU):

http://www.nova.edu/cah/healthsciences/forms/dhs_curriculum.pdf

Looks NOTHING like this (from Baylor/Army program):

http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/index.php?id=66560

I thiink that I should explain a little bit better. I did an emergency medicine residence at UTHSCSA, they don't confer a degree upon completion. It's the exact same clinical training and experience as the Army Baylor program. In fact, most of the people that helped to form that program are staff PAs or docs at the UT ER. I didn't want to sign away another four to six years of my life with the Army so I could get deployed again (I spent three years in Iraq) so I did the next best thing. I got out, did the residence and go the EM certificate. Wanted the doctorate degree to be competitive with folks seeking academic positions and it was paid for with the GI Bill. The NSU track is not a "Clinical Doctorate" you do a lot of paper writing and a lot of research that the Baylor program is lacking. At the end of the day, the degree is the same, but if you were a PA that just went to the NSU program, you wouldn't be getting the same experience and training that the Army is getting in their program. Does that make sense. Personally, I think that the ER residence is great. The Army folks in SA are required to come work for us at UT to see some real sick patients as part of their requirments and because that ER is all retired military or military connected, they fit right in and have a blast while getting awesome training.

Archived