Getting an Interview/Accepted WITHOUT taking a 400 Level Science

Is it common to gain acceptance into PA school with just taking the required prerequisite coursework?  (I.e., Bio 1/2, Che 1/2, Org 1/2, A+P 1/2, Nutrition, Stat, Microbio, "insert other random required science").  The past 10 months of my life have been focusing on gaining HCE, which I'm doing well, and continuing to do earn a good GPA in my non-science classes (I'm a Psych major).  However, one aspect of my application that will be lacking is the absence of a 400 level science.  I have all A's and A-'s in my pre-req courses *except* Che 2, where I earned a B-.  By the time I apply (next June), I should have close to ~2000 hours of HCE.  Is the absence of a 400 level science a major hurdle?

I applied and was accepted without anything higher than a 200 level science course....I know people say that higher level science courses make your application look better and that could be true (especially at certain schools), but I have had plenty of interview offers and have been accepted at 2 different schools without taking upper level science courses....I also think it depends on your undergraduate major...if it was something in healthcare, they might not worry so much about the higher sciences, but if it was something unrelated, they might want you to take more than the required just to make sure you can handle the science heavy curriculum of PA school...overall, I wouldn't worry too much about having them...

I had about 186 credits with no 400-level science courses. A few 300 level courses, and a few extra health science courses that weren't pre-reqs (anatomy dissection, patho). I have 2 interviews so far.

I'm in pretty much the same boat. 4 interviews and an acceptance. HCE was my strength though. Well over 12,000 hrs as a certified athletic trainer.

I'm so glad I made this thread.  Lots of success from people in similar situations...motivating! :D

My current HCE:

Mental Health Tech ~800 hours

TSS ~100 hours

I start as a Home Health Aide in the next 3 weeks and will do an EMT program over the summer and EMT all next Fall/Spring

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!

I can't speak to any acceptance yet (still waiting on those...) but I've been offered 3 interviews out of the 5 schools I've applied to so far, 2 of which are Northeastern and UMDNJ. I was an English teaching major, and had zero science credits. I spent 4 years doing my post-bac work, and because I was paying for it out of my measly paycheck, could only afford to take the minimum. I took bio 1/2, chem 1/2, Orgo 1/2, micro, biochem, some algebra, and a and p. I did fairly well, but was not a 4.0 student! In those 4 years I spent taking courses I've had time to gain 12,000 hours of hce. So no, so far I can say I don't think taking the minimum has hurt me! Although I had the same worries you do! The hce seems to still be very important to a lot of program! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Archived