Advice...should I go to the interview?

I was recently accepted to one of my top choice PA schools, and I am super excited. I absolutely love the program! And the more I find out about the program, the more I love it...however, I have recently been offered an interview at another school (which is also a good program but wasn't one of my top choices) that is slightly closer to home for me (less of a commute), but the program is 3 months longer and costs a lot more money....

At first, I wasn't planning on going to the interview because I was happy with my decision to attend the first school despite the long commute....but my family and the PA that I shadowed (who attended the second school) have been trying to convince me to go to the interview....They said that the more time I would have to study (because of less of a commute) would be worth the extra money....but I kind of fee like if I am spending all this time and money to go that I should attend the school that I really liked and could really see myself at....I know that it doesn't hurt to go, and I kind of feel like I owe it to the woman I shadowed because its the school she went to and she was really excited to hear that I had an interview there....but I really liked the first school and I don't want to end up losing my deposit there....I don't think I will like this second school more than the first...overall, I really feel like I don't want to go to the interview because I like my first school, and I kind of feel bad taking an interview spot away from someone who really wants to go there....but I don't want to disappoint that people in my life....lol what do I do? Should I just go because I have nothing to lose?

Honestly, you have nothing to lose from going to the interview. I had a similar dilemma. I got into my first choice, and thought that I would decline all other interviews. I decided to go to one of the interviews just to see, and turns out, that is where i will be matriculating come August. The truth of the matter is, you still sound a little bit un-decided, so going to the interview can help reinforce that you want to go with your first choice, or that maybe you would prefer the second choice. 

As far as taking up an interview spot...don't think of it that way, that's why these programs have waiting lists. Ultimately, you cant attend two schools, so a seat will open up somewhere once you decide and it will go to someone else who wants to be there. 

First of all congrats.  Thats exciting news.  I am going to go against the grain a little. If it was me, I wouldn't go.  The first school that I interviewed at was my first choice, I was accepted, and turned down all other interview invites afterwards.  From what I read from your post, it sounds like you would just be going to your next interview to make your mentor happy, instead of focusing on what you really want.  When I shadowed multiple PA's they told me to find the cheapest PA program with an excellent PANCE rate.  You are going to receive the same masters degree from both schools, but will have less student debt to pay off in the end at the other.  If you are like me, I didn't want to waste all my money flying around the country, when I had already found a program that I loved and wanted to attend.  I hope this message doesn't confuse you even more.  Where did you get in btw? If you want you can message me if you don't want to post it.  I have noticed that you applied to a lot of the same number of schools that I did.

The more I think things over the more I really feel like I want to stick with my first choice....I visited the school a couple of times last year and absolutely loved it...and now that I have been accepted, current students and faculty have been reaching out to me, and everyone that I have met has been so nice, and all the students seem so happy to be there....at my interview, I definitely had that moment of "I can really see myself here!" and I didn't have that anywhere else....I feel that the only reason that I am considering going to the other interview is just because the school is slightly closer to me and because my mentor went there....if it weren't for that I would have no reservations against my first choice lol......

Also, I don't know if the distance thing will end up being an issue because my husband and I are now talking about moving closer to the school (because it would actually be closer to his job as well)....originally, we didn't know if we wanted to go through the hassle of moving or not....

I know both schools are great schools and that this is wonderful predicament to be in and I am so thankful for everyone posting and giving me advice!!! Right now I am leaning towards not going to the interview because I KNOW that I really loved that school that I was already accepted to....

Archived