What can be done to improve the perception of the PA profession.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely believe that NP should have the type of practice they have fought for. Countless studies prove they have equivalent outcomes. I'm not saying NP training is poor, I'm just saying PA is better. My point is that PA education is better, and we should have at least collaboration like they do. I agree we can all learn from each other and we need to work together politically. Just to show I'm unbiased, I'll state for the record that CRNA is better than AA. I try to see things as they are, not as I want them to be.

I agree, PAs should definitely have at least collaboration.  PAs and NPs should have the practice rights and privileges that NPs do, I see no reason not to.

I agree.  The majority of nurses I know that are doing NP aren't sick of being an RN, and they actually enjoy it.  Interestingly, that neurosurgery FNP that I mentioned earlier talked about how she's not sure about whether she'll do her DNP, and may just take a course or two a semester until she's done.  When she said that, I thought about this forum!  ;).

Everyone speaks from his/her own experience. This is what I see. My neighbors daughter just started NP and did the exact hours of RN before the program. Course/semester is NOT an education, rather a gradual purchase of a diploma.

Everyone speaks from his/her own experience. This is what I see. My neighbors daughter just started NP and did the exact hours of RN before the program. Course/semester is NOT an education, rather a gradual purchase of a diploma.

Agreee on this lol. But if they don't learn they will likely either fail their boards or pass and never get a job anyway so doesn't matter.

Answer to the original question:

1. Get involved in your state chapter to advocate for PA autonomy and the advancement of our profession to include:  Amendment of supervision, amendment of delegation, recognition of PAs as a profession that is not tied to another profession.   

2. Start acting like we are professionals and not assistants. Believe that PAs have the capability and the education to be an independent profession that has its own governing board of medicine.  

3. Be responsible for your own work.

4. Be committed to excellence in practicing medicine as a PA and know your scope of practice skills.

5. Discuss with the medical community that we will still practice with them as collaborative professionals, much like an OD works with MD ophthalmologists....refer appropriately.

6. Don't be afraid of the medical community, AMA, AAPA, NCCPA, PAEA.  They will be coming along for the ride.

7. Do not think of yourself as an assistant.  You are a licensed medical provider/practitioner/associate.

8. Get involved now. 

Archived