Anxious-need reassurance

I know there are a lot of people on here who come to get reassured that everything is going to be ok. I hope I'm not wasting time and space but I just feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle since this is becoming a popular career. I get upset and have anxiety attacks sometimes from all of the stress.

For some background, I'm majoring in B.A biochemistry with a minor in Spanish possibly in the working. I am in my first semester of sophomore year and have a 3.65 overall GPA with a 3.47 science GPA. To be frank, I am sick and tired of B's but is it ok to have a lot of B's? I am preparing to volunteer at a local hospital and am searching for a phlebotomy job (my state doesn't require certification). I participate in two clubs (but I refuse to be president or have a position) and hold a part time job.

I feel like I have no chance at all of getting in but what do you all think? Any advice to give?

Your grades are fine. You need some experience in healthcare so you can be sure what you are getting into, among other reasons.

If you have a 3.65 overall, are insecure about your grades, and stressed out over Bs, then you need to address your inner anxiety. Life can be tough when you are constantly under that much stress. Sure, you have to work and study, but you need to let go of thinking that you control every outcome. This will no doubt come with time. You will be under stress during your training, to say nothing of when you are in practice. Now is the time to start addressing that. 

You control the effort; let the outcome be whatever it is going to be and then move on to the next challenge.

Good luck!

Your grades are fine....I agree with what everyone else is saying...HCE will set you apart...I would also look into some other volunteer work that might set you apart...I did a medical mission trip to Peru, and I talked about it a lot in my essay and interviews...I know a lot of other people that were successful applicants did things like habitat for humanity, etc.

I also highly recommend shadowing a PA or a couple of different ones in different settings. I shadowed a surgical PA and a primary care PA, and one of my letters of recommendation was written by one of them...I think it helps a lot to get a LOR from a PA....

The PA profession is becoming more popular, but each year a lot of schools are starting up new programs...don't worry so much about something that is so far off in the future...focus on what you can do now to set yourself apart from the other applicants...

Thank you all so much. I've been stressed about this for awhile. I have done some shadowing, and I might have a connection with an ex-state board member. I know I need to address a lot of my stress; I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder last year so I've been going the route without meds so I have a hard time keeping things in perspective. Especially because I am VERY dead-set on this career.

Archived