Potential PA Applicant

Hi All,

This is my 1st post on this website and would love any and all of your feedback. Here is what's on my mind:

I have only taken statistics so far as a pre-req and am enrolled in A&P and Biology. My GPA from my undergrad liberal arts degree was a 3.3 and want to know 1) What does my GPA need to be to be considered seriously? 2) How many people typically apply per cycle and how many are admitted? and 3) What grades do I need on my science pre-reqs to have a real chance of admission?

I am new to this field and would love any suggestions and honest pointers. If I get B's in the majority of my science courses, is that going to be ok if I have enough volunteer hours, good recs, essays, and everything else?

You have some good questions. However, each school is different. Thus, class sizes, average GPA, and number of applicants differ. Also, each school has slightly different prerequisites. 

My advice is to begin by researching PA programs. Take a look at their class profiles, where they are, and how much they cost, so you can figure out which ones fit you best. Thus, you will know what classes you need to take and what grades you will need. 

Here's a great place to start: http://directory.paeaonline.org/programs

Your overall GPA isn't bad, but probably on back side of the curve for most programs. Things are starting to get more and more competitive, so you want to position yourself in the best place possible. Aim to get A's in the rest of your classes and you'll find yourself in a much more competitive position.Ideally, you want to be somewhere near a 3.5 in your science GPA.

I honestly don't see myself pulling down A's in A&P and the hard natural science classes. I'm not a great student merely a decent one.

Seeing how competitive it is, perhaps a great recommendation, essay, and being well-rounded can make up for the A's with B's? What do you think?

I think what GreatChecko was getting at is its not impossible to get into PA school with B's but it does make you a much more competitive applicant if you have more A's. I would also suggest aiming for at least some A's that might prevent members on the Adcom from considering you merely an average student. Another suggestion might be taking extra upper level science courses (outside of the pre reqs)

Rec letters, extracurricular, HCE, and your personal statement will absolutely help if they were all considered very competitive and unique. And of course having a stellar interview. Hope this helps!

It sounds like you are pretty early in the game. If you find yourself not all that interested in things like A&P, maybe you are heading in the wrong career direction? Hard to tell. That's one reason why getting some health care experience is so vital.

You may turn out to be a PA who loves their job, But many is the person who spent years climbing a career ladder only to discover that it is up against the wrong tree. Finding out what you are supposed to be doing with your life is stressful sometimes, but you may look back on it as a great time in your life.

Good luck!

Archived