Why does the VA continue to post NP only positions that should be PA/NP

The email for the recruiter is on the bottom

I have found that if we make ourselves heard with the fact that essentially any NP job should be PA/NP......

how about some emails???

Job Title:Nurse Practitioner

Department:Department Of Veterans Affairs

Agency:Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration

Job Announcement Number:405-13-PC-972073-036

SALARY RANGE: $54,211.00 to $99,453.00 / Per Year OPEN PERIOD: Thursday, October 03, 2013 to Monday, October 07, 2013 SERIES & GRADE: AD-0610-00 POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent   DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 vacancy in the following location:
Rutland, VT United States
WHO MAY APPLY: United States Citizens

JOB SUMMARY:

Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 972073

Relocation Expenses May be authorized for this position.

To fulfill President Lincoln's promise – "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" – by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. 

How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?

Special Employment Consideration:  VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.

KEY REQUIREMENTS
  • U.S. Citizenship
  • Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required.
  • Must pass pre-employment examination.
  • Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
  • Background and/or Security Investigation required.
  • English Language Proficiency required.
DUTIES:

The VA Medical Center in White River Junction, VT is recruiting a full-time Primary Care Nurse Practitioner for our community clinic in Rutland, VT.  The clinic provides primary care and mental health care services to Veterans in Central Vermont.  The position includes direct patient care as well as serving as the clinic director with responsibility for supervising the clinic staff.

The White River Junction VA is a Carey Award winning, highly academically affiliated VA with a history of service excellence and innovation serving 24,000 Veterans in Vermont and New Hampshire.

**Position will require a supervisory probation period.

QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:

NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD

a. Basic Requirements

(1) Citizenship. Citizen of the United States. (Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3g, this part.)

(2) Graduation from School of Nursing

(a) Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State agency, and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant. [NOTE: See exception in subparagraph (b) below for candidates who are enrolled in a MSN Bridge Program.]

1. The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), located at 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, Georgia 30326 or call (404) 975-5000The ACEN accredits all levels of nursing programs. Additional information may be obtained from the ACEN web site; or

OTHER INFORMATION:

This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status. 

HOW TO APPLY:

To begin the process, click the Apply Online button at the right side of this screen to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.

You may upload the completed form to your USAJOBS or Application Manager account if you apply online.  Then you can use the uploaded form again and again when applying for future vacancies.  Please see this guide ( http://www.va.gov/OHRM/joblistings/uploading-and-using-documents-online.doc ) for more information on uploading and re-using the form in your applications.  Other required forms and documents can also be saved in your account and used the same way.   Applicants are urged to apply online; this process is much easier and faster.

Note: To return to a previously Saved or Incomplete application, just reapply through your account in USAJOBS.  Check your account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login) to see the status of your application after applying, including any messages that may have been sent to you.

If you cannot apply online:

1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire: View Occupational Questionnaire.
  2. Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the occupational questionnaire: http://www.opm.gov./forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf.
  3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with all supporting documents to (478)757-3144.  Your 1203FX form must be placed on top of all materials being faxed and will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
  4. Keep a copy of your fax receipt in case verification is needed.

To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload:

1. Complete this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf using the following Vacancy ID: T972073.  You must use this fax cover sheet in order for your documents to be matched with your online application.
  2. Fax your documents to (478)757-3144.

The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Monday, October 07, 2013.

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:

You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:

1. CV or Resume.
  2. OF-306 (Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf)(required).
  3. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurse and Nurse Anesthetist (Available at   http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf(required).
  4. If prior military service, include all copies of your DD Forms 214 or proof of service (required).   Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf).
  5. If currently employed in the Federal system, include latest SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action. (required).

AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Phillip Davis
Phone: (802)295-9363x5328
Email: PHILLIP.DAVIS@VA.GOV
Agency Information:
VHA White River Junction VAMC
Department of Veterans Affairs
215 North Main Street
Human Resources
White River Jct, VT

WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:

After we receive your complete application package (including any required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed to decide if you meet the basic requirements.  You will be notified when this decision is made.

Control Number: 352834400

Close Print

I am sending an email to the recruiter and will ask the department to open it up to PAs.  I will be professional and nice! I'll let you know if I get a response. I may wait to email from my work computer and work email since I have a tribal government email address.  Hopefully it won't go into spam folder. 

Here's the email, and I included my work email and phone  number, plus the PAFT website and that I am a Director at Large for PAFT.

Dear Mr. Davis,

I am a PA and have noticed that a recent VA opening in VT is listed for NP. The job description certainly describes the position of a PA. As you know, PAs are practitioners of medicine and provide highly autonomous services in all areas of medicine. I currently work on an Indian reservation in Michigan and carry my own panel of complicated patients. I am held to the same standard of care as that of a physician. I practice medicine and collaborate with other health care professionals on a daily basis. In addition I currently manage the maternal-child health section of our clinic and oversee all the activities of the nursing staff involved in immunizations. I am the one who the nurses consult with for problems with the obstetric patients who are on the panel of an obstetrician as well and will trouble shoot any medical problems they have if they are unable to see their obstetrician quickly. 

PAs practice medicine in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and in US territories. We are integral part of medicine and serve in all branches of the military. We have been first line medical care in combat zones around the globe. PAs have a long history with the Veterans Administration.

Please open up all jobs listed for just NP to all PAs. PAs are Masters level medical providers with some at the level of DHsc. We have undertaken advanced training and fellowships in Emergency Medicine, Critical Care, Surgery, Hospital Medicine and have participated in the VA system pilot projects and fellowships for the primary care medical home (PCMH) concept.

Archived