Undergrad (4th year) seeking advice; non-traditional pre-PA track

Hi everyone!

I am an undergrad student at UF with one semester left. I am kind of in a pickle deciding what to do next. I have picked quite a non-traditional path from what I've seen. My major is Spanish, and I've completed most of the PA prereqs, I only have two left.

My overall GPA isn't awful: 3.5. But my science GPA is where I'm worried: 2.7. I got a couple of C's in prereq courses during my 2nd year mostly because I spread myself too thin and was working 30-40 hours a week and taking 16 credits. In my most recent science coursework I've done well with A's in Gen Chem 2, Organic, and Genetics.

I feel like it is probably unrealistic to apply and expect positive feedback from really anywhere since most programs won't even look at you unless your science GPA is above a 3.0.

Right now I am trying to decide if I should go the post-bacc route and take some science courses to raise my science GPA (retake the prereqs?), or try to apply to a 1 year MS program somewhere in order to show that I'm capable of handling rigorous science classes even though my current science GPA doesn't reflect that.

As far as clinical experience goes I have been working as a CNA, and am possibly thinking about going the EMT route.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thank you!

I also graduated from UF and was a non science major (family youth and community sciences). Good thing about PA school is that your major does not matter. If I were u I would re take and pre req course that you received a C in at a community college or UF if u can afford it...because during interviews you WILL get asked why you got a C. You are right most programs require a minimum of a 3.0. You are not far from it and can reach it by retaking some classes. I would also continue getting those HCE hours as a CNA. I wouldn't waste time on becoming an emt because your science GPA takes priority. This is just what I would do. Good luck

You're heading in the right direction, but your immediate action item is to get that science GPA up. Do the math and see how many credits it would take to get it to 3.0. The cheapest thing to do might be to retake those prereqs.

Also, you have some HCE and your overall GPA isn't too bad, so I wouldn't head in the post-bacc direction unless you can't see any other way to get your grades up. I'd even consider applying next year to see if you get any bites. You won't know how your overall package is viewed unless you actually give it a shot. 

Also get involved in the pre-PA Association (if you already aren't) at UF. They bring in speakers on a monthly basis and I believe the admissions coordinator for UF stops by in the Spring. Might be a good time to get some official advice as well.

Good luck and Go Gators!

Thank you both so much for your input!

So definitely retake the courses that I've earned a C in? The only think I'm worried about is that if I get an A in these courses, through CASPA it will only average out to a B. 

Also, do you think it is necessary to e-mail specific programs to see if they'd rather me retake things or show that I can do well in upper level courses like Biochem?

Thanks GreatChecko, I have been attending PPAA meetings at UF so far this year.

Jc2012, have you gone through the application process yet? And if so, do admissions committees tend to comment on your non-science major?

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate it!

Gatorlinds- I have applied this cycle. I applied to 6 schools and received interviews from 5 so far. I've gone on 1 interview so far and my major was not even mentioned. In my opinion I see my non science major as an advantage..it makes me stand out from the sea of biology and health science majors lol..plus even though I'm a non science major I have taken many science courses

It's never a bad idea to contact the schools you are interested in and get their opinion. That will give you the best idea of what they prefer you to do to raise your GPA. 

I'm of the opinion that upper level courses would only help and not hurt you, as long as the grades are good.

As for your major, don't worry about it. My undergraduate major is a B.S., but about as far from medicine as you can get. The only questions I got were about my former job and why I decided to make the change. I never felt it put me at a disadvantage and it gave me plenty of good stories to tell. 

Archived