How to decide: Stony Brook University vs Long Island University Division of PA Studie

I know nothing about either school but I have a general comment:

Assuming both are good schools, pick the one that seems like the more supportive environment (i.e., they want you to succeed and aren't just trying to weed you out) and matches your personal needs (cost, distance from home, etc).

When I interviewed, I asked current students what they did not like about their programs. A student at one of the schools said "They treat us like children!" At another, a student said "They are always changing the class schedule...on the other hand, every time someone has a problem, the faculty reacts." I picked the second school and was not disappointed.

I've read a lot about how people think that the school you go to will make a huge difference in your career. Frankly, I've not seen much evidence of that. On the other hand, I've seen lots of examples of how picking the wrong school for you can screw up the start of a new career.

Good luck in making your decision.

Archived