Being a strong applicant...

I have recently decided to take the PA path. I have a bachelors in science from Western Michigan in Interdisciplinary Health and also have an associates in nursing. I have been a practicing RN for the past year and a half. About 6 months into my carreer as an RN i knew i wanted to become a mid-level provider. Im applying to 3 schools in Michigan...EMU, Wayne state and UDM. I guess what im wondering is what makes a strong applicant...I graduted with a 3.47 undergrand GPA(a little low, i know)....my nursing school GPA was a 3.9 and my sciences GPA is a 3.85. I have well over 2000 hours of direct patient care. I have volunteer work under my belt (make a wish foundation, soup kitchens, and with several other organizations). I still have to take my GRE and have to take organic chem. But im wondering...what makes a competitive applicant? You see many people who apply with a 3.8-3.9 GPA with all requirements met and they dont get accepted. just wondering what everyones thoughts were on application strengths:) thanks!

On paper, you sound great! I suspect your letters of recommendation and interview performance will be key in your case (assuming you do well in Ochem and the GREs). Your grades and experience sound very good.

You will probably be asked why the PA route and not the NP route, so that's a question you'll need to think about. You didn't mention shadowing time, so hopefully you plan to do enough of that to understand the PA's role in different environments.

Good luck!

I definitely have done the PA/NP back and forth deal..but after looking into it more, i feel that PA curriculum will better prepare me to treat diseases, my role as a nurse taught me how to treat the patient. i think a combo of these 2 would make me a great practitioner...the NP curriculum is more focused on theory with significantly less clinical hours. The more clinical hours/hands on. the better. i have not yet shadowed a PA. i have worked with them but never shadowed...im sure i could ask someone if i could shadow. If you have any other reccomendations as to what will make me a strong candidate, throw the ideas out there:) Im hoping to stay in michigan...3 schools with PA programs within 30 minutes of me...mainly because of my husband, so fingers crossed

• 2 weeks later...

People who have a 3.8 and cannot get into PA school are generally one-facet applicants. PA schools are not trying to produce walking textbooks. We are trying to create clinicians with a solid knowledge base who also have the personality to work with people in an environment with almost constant stress and a great deal of uncertainty.

Your nursing background probably demonstrated you can succeed in this environment, so I would think you are in good shape. Good luck!

• 5 months later...

Title: The First Annual Pre-Healthcare Interdisciplinary Seminar

Location: Wayne State University Student Center (5221 Gullen Mall, Detroit, Michigan 48202)

Room 289 Conference Room - 2nd Floor.

Time: 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm

The Michigan Physician Assistant Foundation (MIPAF) is hosting this seminar to help prospective PA students learn more about the PA profession, roles of the PA on the healthcare team and how it is changing as well, changing laws and the impact of the Affordable Care Act on the PA profession. We will also be discussing application improvement resources, and ways to help your PA program application shine.

We would love to have as many Pre-PA students to learn more about the profession, current PA students, and seasoned PAs in the audience to answer questions of the pre-PAs. At the end of the seminar, we would like to offer a Q & A session with access to the current PA students and seasoned PAs as a resource in the audience.

Questions will most likely focus on getting accepted to a PA program, application questions, and application improvement inquiries, maybe even community service locations.

Speakers:

Kathy Dobbs PA-C - President of Michigan Physician Assistant Foundation (MIPAF) ----- Speaking about MIPAF history and mission.

Bob Ross PA-C - MIPAF Secretary & Owner of Triad Diagnostics ----- Speaking on the changing laws of healthcare as they impact PAs.

James Frick PA-C - Speaking on the roles of PAs on the healthcare team and on the various roles a PA can partake.

Lindsay Gietzen PA-C - WSU PA Program Professor - Speaking on getting accepted to a PA program, how to make your application stand out, red flags to be aware of when applying to programs.

Tentative Speaker: Angela Braun PA-S - MIPAF Marketing Director & Owner of Braun Medical Marketing --- Speaking on research conducted on Affordable Care Act and its impact on the PA profession - for better or worse. Also, community service resources, and application readiness.

Audience:
We have invited the WSU Pre-PA society, Pre-Healthcare Interactive Student Organization (PISO), and UDM Pre-PA group.

We also invited the current WSU PA classes of 2014, 2015, & 2016 to help these prospective students on their path to understanding the PA profession.

Archived