IQ needed for PA studies

I recently took the WAIS-IV IQ test and scored 108. I'm currently in community college pursuing an Associate of Arts transfer degree to UNC Charlotte here in Charlotte, NC. I keep doubting my ability and thinking that maybe a BSN degree is more up my alley because the science requirements aren't as stringent. So am I smart enough for a PA graduate degree, is there a chance I could get accepted into a program? My current GPA is 3.2 cumulative GPA (toward a BS in Exercise Science), and a science GPA of: 3.1. Thanks!

Honesty time now.

Your GPA is quite on the low end, especially for the very competitive PA admissions. Does it mean that you won't make it in PA school? Not at all.

People tend to assume that some individuals are just naturally "gifted" and are going to be good no matter what. That's just untrue. Observe the IQ scale first. It's not a fixed number over your life. It can increase or decrease to some degree, depending on how you engage your mental faculties. Part of it is hereditary, though a large extent is also how you've been using and training your mental abilities over the years. 100 IQ is the standard, normalized average. This means that 100 IQ is adjusted every year, as people are getting smarter as a whole, so we adjust how smart the population is to define average (normal) intelligence, and anything below or above it. You're not in a bad spot, and you don't need to have it so high to be a PA.

I'm assuming that you've just been taking this college-level coursework for the first time in your life. Much like anything else you do for the first time, you're probably not going to be that good at it. You have neither experience, practice, or a strong science foundation. That's fine. These are the things that you'll slowly develop as you go through school, and mature.

In these first few weeks of PA school, some of my classmates have considered me very smart. I disagreed. I was only good at the sciences because of my heavy research background, and the fact that I did graduate fresh from college, unlike some of them who haven't been in school for years. I envy them when we do Physical Diagnosis labs. They're smooth, well-rehearsed, and had done it hundreds of times before over the years. Neither I nor them were high IQ, andthus good PA material. We just had different foundations on what we were good at, based on what we were doing before. Long story short, we share our knowledge.

No one had to have it all to get accepted, we just had to demonstrate good potential that we could get to that point, given enough learning and practice. It's the same case for you too. So I'd recommend getting really deep in some biological sciences first, and see how well you take that. Can you comprehend the scientific basics well enough to apply it in making a clinical decision? It's not about intelligence, but how you frame your mind. After this, try to get some exposure to patients, in any capacity you can manage, whether it's observation, volunteering, or getting some certification (CNA, EMT-B) to provide patient care. Put these two together, and see if you enjoy it, and think you can get good enough at it if you give yourself some time , and practice.

You just might be cut out to be a PA.

There's no magical way to find out though, and a high IQ certainly wouldn't do that for you. It's trying things out and assessing your own potential.

Everyone is horrible the first time they do anything. It's a matter of how much effort it takes to gain competence, and you can only get that by trying things out.

The world is full of late bloomers, many of who just hadn't run across something that they were really interested in before. My advice: take a prereq for PA school and see how interested you are. The best path through life is one that moves you in the direction of what you find interesting (and employable).

• 3 weeks later...

when I started college out of high school I thought I wasn't smart enough to do well in things like math and science so I chose to do foreign languages because that's what I'm good at .. I dropped out to become a personal trainer and decided to go back at 24. I'm about to turn 26 and I see myself entirely differently, I am not stupid like i thought I was.My GPA since I came back is a 3.7 and oddly enough my science and math are a 4 . 

I was the person that sucked at math.. the one that never read a biology book. I never in a million years thought i would enjoy learning these things, I haven't achieved my grades because I'm smarter , I've gotten this far because I work my ass off to do it. You're never too stupid to learn as long as you're willing to put in the work to achieve your goals. Forget about your IQ.... if you want this and you are willing to put in the work you WILL make it happen. Success has lots to do with dedication and very little to do with IQ levels. 

Archived