elevated calcium

I have an 82 y/o neighbor with a chronic elevated calcium which over 2 years has creeped up to 14.6 It was slightly above normal 2 years ago. Multiple blood tests and scans have all been negative. No tumors etc.. Any thoughts on this. She is not taking any calcium supplements. Thanks for any thoughts.

what do you mean by no tumors ? the patient had pan scanning done ? is prostate cancer associated with elevated calcium I know certain breast and lung cancers are ? lab work I am sure checked PTH ? What about the adjusted value given his albumin ? vitamin D toxicity .. it is the trend now after all .. she could be taking this through multiple sources and be unaware ? You checked PTH related peptide? What medications is he on any thiazide diuretic or other vitamins ?

mary hyperparathyroidism and malignancy account for about 90% of cases of hypercalcaemia.[6][7]

[h=3]Abnormal parathyroid gland function[edit source | editbeta][/h]

[h=3]Malignancy[edit source | editbeta][/h]

220px-Small_cell_carcinoma_of_the_ovary_hypercalcemic_type_-_high_mag.jpg

magnify-clip.png

Micrograph of ovarian small cell carcinoma of the hypercalcemic type. H&E stain.

[h=3]Vitamin-D metabolic disorders[edit source | editbeta][/h]

[h=3]Disorders related to high bone-turnover rates[edit source | editbeta][/h]

[h=3]Renal failure[edit source | editbeta][/h]

Archived