So I've applied...now what?

If you are (or were) like me, you have submitted your applications and are now playing the waiting game. Is there an appropriate code of conduct for following up? I feel like I am supposed to sit quietly and wait, but others have said I should send an email about once every month or two saying I am still interested and casually updating the schools on what I’ve been doing (acquiring more HCE, taking fall courses, etc).

What do you suggest?

I've just been waiting and updating my CASPA with classes I've finished. I've been told that when you update CASPA the schools are notified. I have heard it is not recommended to email the admissions committee while waiting. If you think about it they have 1000+ applicants. If they got emails every month from every one of them asking for an update that would be overwhelming. Just my opinion though. I checked the Forum for each of my schools and looked at threads where people stated when they received interviews to give myself an idea of the timeframe that the schools offer interviews.

This is where I am right now too. Waiting is SO painful. However, I've gone through the program websites along with looking up threads from these forums to see when the programs usually contact students about interviews. I figured I wouldn't bug them until it gets to around that time.

It doesn't help that all of the programs I'm trying for don't have rolling admissions. :P

University of California – Davis

Invites: Starting September (9/11)

Interviews: Starting October

Pacific University

Invites: late September (9/27)

Interviews: November to December

Loma Linda University

Invites: Starting October (10/18)

Interviews: January to late February

Western University of Health Science

Invites: Starting November (11/25)

Interviews: late January and February

Samuel Merritt University

Invites: Starting November (11/28)

Interviews: January and February

Things I did while I was waiting for an interview / acceptance were:

1. I continued to rack up healthcare certifications / credentials that would increase my medical knowledge or scope

2. Took more classes in addition to the prerequisites that would expose me to the material

3. Volunteered more (both healthcare and non-healthcare)

4. Continued working and accumulating paid HCE (I worked as much OT as possible to boost this stat)

5. Shadowed specialties that I haven't had exposure to

6. Keep up to date with the CAPA (state PA assoc) and AAPA and look for opportunities to get involved / network

About every 3 weeks I would update each program with my progress. It allowed me to keep increasing my stats, have me a reason to keep in touch with admissions, showed I was still interested, showed I was dedicated, and would make me a more well rounded PA.

Just as a tip, Timon's great advice of following up a school with your progress is a pretty good move to do in the event that you get waitlisted.

Constantly improving your record, and acquiring more experience, helps demonstrate your eagerness and potential for that PA program. If you don't get accepted that cycle, you'll be a much better applicant next year. You don't really lose out either way.

Aiviphung - you're a little OCD and I like it because you're just like me. I have a spreadsheet of all my program deets, including when invites are sent, interviews are held, and when final notices should go out. We also applied to many of the same schools.

Even within this thread there are different opinions. Posting to the PA Student board sounds like a good idea, Trobin.

Timon - did you email them every three weeks as you were waiting for an interview? Or only in the time after you already interviewed?

Timon - did you email them every three weeks as you were waiting for an interview? Or only in the time after you already interviewed?

I tried to email them every 3 weeks / more specifically when I had a good chunk of info to update them with. I was always logging something new so over a 3 week period I'd maybe do 2 fundraisers / volunteering events, maybe complete a class or certification or seminar, some shadowing hours, and some HCE hours. So usually I'd update at minimum 3-6 new items about every 3-4 weeks.

I would update the schools all the way up to when I got an interview and then would keep quiet until the interview and then continue to update them after the interview. Typically I'd talk with them on the phone and follow it up with an email. It allowed for me to increase my face time and keep my name in front of their thoughts. Had I not done that I don't think I would have had any interviews with my stats.

• 3 weeks later...

This is where I am right now too. Waiting is SO painful. However, I've gone through the program websites along with looking up threads from these forums to see when the programs usually contact students about interviews. I figured I wouldn't bug them until it gets to around that time.

It doesn't help that all of the programs I'm trying for don't have rolling admissions. :P

University of California – Davis

Invites: Starting September (9/11)

Interviews: Starting October

Pacific University

Invites: late September (9/27)

Interviews: November to December

Loma Linda University

Invites: Starting October (10/18)

Interviews: January to late February

Western University of Health Science

Invites: Starting November (11/25)

Interviews: late January and February

Samuel Merritt University

Invites: Starting November (11/28)

Interviews: January and February

Thanks for sharing this info. So is ok to get an update by calling them? Do they provide any update after submitting suplemental application? I submitted mine and don't know how to go from here.

Archived