Interesting RE: COPD and PEs

I read the report.

Unfortunately A low number of actual cases, but, essentially they are stating the In COPD exacerbations requiring Admission, almost 25% have, as the precipitant cause of that exacerbation, PEs.

This makes sense.

We really only admit COPD exacerbations which do not turn around well with Beta agonists, imitropium, steroids, bpap, etc, and the cxr and w/u fail to include failure or flash edema, pneumonia, MI, dysrythmia, etc

We have all seen these guys.. And I have often wondered "what's changed?" to take the patient so far over the edge...

As most COPDers have multiple coagulopathy risk factors ( cig, obesity, sedentary lifestyle, etc), this study demonstrates something that we probably should have intuited... That these guys are suffering from a significant new v/q mismatch due to the PE....

As far as screening dimers go, in any patient with new and/or worsening dyspnea, hypoxia, tachycardia ( eg COPDers), ALL should probably be screened by DImer in addition to PERC and other decision trees to consider the presence or low likelihood of clot... Especially in anyone sick enough to be admitted.

Arguably, even in absence of screening, these patients sought to be anticoagulated with lmwh or Xa inhibitors during their hospitalization.

25 % is a pretty significant number....

Although I do reconize that 25 percent of COPDer admissions are not keeling over due to those PEs...I still feel that where there is one, there may well appear another.. And THAT one might be medically significant.

Just my thoughts.

Anyone have any comments on last weeks JAMA article advocating adding low dose vasopressin and moderate dose methyl prednisone in out of hospital cardiac arrests, continuing the steroid for 7 days, and this regimen increasing the rate of walking out of hospital survival from 4 to 15 percent ( eg almost a 400 percent increase in survival???

Archived