National Health Corp Loan Repayment.. What are the chances?

There are too many factors outside of your control to know the exact numbers. NHSC will find reapplicants first, after all they are already serving. Then based on the money left they will begin to fund first time applicants. In the past it was based on a first come first serve idea. In recent years they have changed it to fund to certain levels based on funds available. The paperwork process is a headache but if you get funded its so worth all the headache. I applied 3 years ago and got funded at a site that had a score of 15.

• 3 weeks later...

Our university told us that last year no one was funded at a clinic below a 16. They could have been wrong, maybe? It's getting increasingly competitive with each year; they are getting twice the number of applicants for each spot available. They told us if we wanted to be assured a likelihood funding we should try and work for a place that's in the 20s.

They have also lowered the amount of money you get for staying with them. When I started year 3 was 40k, then it was 30k, and for 2014 it is 20k.

Now years 3 and 4 are 20k and years 5 and 6 are 10k.

This would definitely go along with longer retention of participants who have higher levels of debt. Less likely to serve 2 years and run.

I liked the higher amounts as it helps cut down on interest accumulation, but I won't complain about any help I get with my student loans. 

• 2 weeks later...

From what I heard from this years applicants that they ran out of money before even awarding anyone below a HPSA site score of 16. Could just be poppycock that someone told me though. Hopefully it was just a really competitive group this year, and your 15 score might do well another year. Who knows?!

• 2 weeks later...

wow this makes no sense. if you do the numbers if they awarded 6k people 60k they would spend 360 million. But can you imagine what these 6k people are saving the gov't long term with the populations they are serving.  The savings to medicare and medicaid have to be astounding. it shocks me that they arent budgeted appropriately just based on health care savings

Archived