low science GPA, great stats in everything else

Hey everyone,

I am applying to PA programs this year but am kind of hesitant. I slacked off during the first 2 years of college and then got my act together and improved dramatically. My cGPA is a 3.4 now (last 60 units is a 3.6), 3,000+ patient hours, 310 on the GRE, research experience, leadership experience, 100+ hours of PA shadowing, great letters of references. My only concern is my sGPA which is around a 2.8. The schools I am applying to require a 2.7 or 2.75. Anyone out there with similar stats who were accepted to any schools? Or at least granted interviews? Or have any knowledge on my chances? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It clearly would be better if you had a better science GPA. But, as my late Mom would say, "What's the worse thing that could happen?" If you don't apply, it would be he same if you applied and didn't get in, so all that would be lost is the cost of applying.

The bigger issue then is your strategy. You hopefully did better in the science classes you took more recently (I hope). I would put a good narrative together that focuses more on what you have done that what you haven't done. I would also get as good a grade as I could on your GREs to prove you have the academic power to make it through their program. I would also consider repeating some of the science classes that you didn't do well on that are essential to PA school. You don't necessarily need to finish them prior to applying, but it would show that you take the knowledge you'll need seriously. And, if you don't get in this time, you'll be in better shape for next year.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a low cumulative and science GPA from undergrad, but I decided to pursue a M.S. in Medical Science which has greatly helped my chances of getting in. Also raised my GRE scores and have done more patient contact work. I have received 2 interviews so far this year. Persistence is the key! Don't think a low GPA will hurt your chances, some schools may look past it if they see how passionate you are.

I kind of have a similar issue. I graduated in 2000 with an undergrad GPA of 2.5 (due to a stressful time with my father suffering two heart attacks and me having to work two jobs to help pay for school and maintain the household). I joined the military as a Combat Medic and later got into their LPN program, so I have more than enough patient care hours. I recently decided to go back to school and "redo" my bachelor's and currently have a 3.8 GPA and retaking science classes that I previously failed with C's and D's. I decided I wanted to go to PA school last week, and just found out that my former science grades will be averaged into my current science grades which sucks for me. So I feel a little disheartened, but I'm going to keep trying. svasan1's advice is great, if I don't get in next year, I'll apply for a master's degree to boost up my GPA. So good luck, and as Diana Nyad said: "Never, ever give up!"

Archived