Anesthesiologist Assistant..Any thoughts?

I have done a lot of research on AAs and from what I gather they have a phenomenal education with s specific, but great skill set. My question is, has anyone worked with an AA and how was your experience? I'm attracted to the idea of a CRNA-like job available to us non-nurses, my concern is the restriction on the states they are permitted to work in, I think its something like 16 states. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts, general or related to my questions.

I looked into it too. It sounds like it could be a great career, but I do think it's sketchy that they can only work in 16 or 18 states. That makes me wonder how hard it might be to find a job. Also it would require another year of chemistry prerequisites for me and I really don't want to do that.

Although I have never personally worked with an AA, I am currently an anesthesia tech pursuing a career as a PA. I have talked to the chief anesthesiologist at the hospital in my area and he has asked me a few times, "why not go to AA school and then just come back to work here?"

It seems the career is very similar to that of CRNAs, but I can't say that I know much more than that or of the state restrictions since I haven't met one personally as of yet. But I thought you might like to hear that the anesthesiologists I've met seem to think well of AAs. :)

• 2 weeks later...

There's a bit of hostility from the CRNA profession toward the AA profession as CRNAs regard non-physician practice of anesthesia as their domain. There are some political issues involved as well, because AAs are trained to work as part of an anesthesia care team (ACT) under the supervision of a physician (like a PA) whereas CRNAs have the option for autonomy similar to a NP (in some states).

AAs are cutting into the CRNA pie and CRNAs don't like it. There are some physicians who feel that AAs are less of a threat because AAs aren't pushing for practice independent of a physician; I don't know how common that view is, mind you.

There's a bit of hostility from the CRNA profession toward the AA profession as CRNAs regard non-physician practice of anesthesia as their domain. There are some political issues involved as well, because AAs are trained to work as part of an anesthesia care team (ACT) under the supervision of a physician (like a PA) whereas CRNAs have the option for autonomy similar to a NP (in some states).

AAs are cutting into the CRNA pie and CRNAs don't like it. There are some physicians who feel that AAs are less of a threat because AAs aren't pushing for practice independent of a physician; I don't know how common that view is, mind you.

CRNAs are able to practice anesthesia independent of anesthesiologists in all 50 states. Majority of states they have complete independence. A few states require a physician supervisor, meaning any physician. This is met through surgeons writing "anesthesia per CRNA," who know nothing about anesthesia, thus practically independent.

Archived