New Ohio State PA Program

They were contemplating opening a new program in 2011, but then Ohio Dominican opened theirs and I don't believe much subsequent pursuit towards opening a program at OSU has been made. They certainly haven't talked about it in any of their news publications. They are heavily NP oriented as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's still a long while before they give in and open a new PA program.

They were contemplating opening a new program in 2011, but then Ohio Dominican opened theirs and I don't believe much subsequent pursuit towards opening a program at OSU has been made. They certainly haven't talked about it in any of their news publications. They are heavily NP oriented as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's still a long while before they give in and open a new PA program.

They are hiring a program director (or have in the last month). The program will be up and running soon.

Amen. Do not work in Ohio if you can help it. Very heavily slanted toward NPs. Poor pay. And you practically have to give up a kidney to get Rx privileges, even if you have successfully prescribed for many years in other states. Most people would not work there except for family or other personal reasons.

No, I am not. It was suggested that I apply for the PD position which is why I knew of it. I am not officially working or affiliated with them....

Thanks for the response. Anyone else with any tidbits? I wonder what it would be like to be a part of a brand new program? Probably not a huge deal since you would be associated with a school that has long established health and professional programs huh?

Amen. Do not work in Ohio if you can help it. Very heavily slanted toward NPs. Poor pay. And you practically have to give up a kidney to get Rx privileges, even if you have successfully prescribed for many years in other states. Most people would not work there except for family or other personal reasons.

Do you know anything about Doctor's Hospital? I have an interview with them this week for an ER position but not sure if I want to stay in Columbus or go back to California to practice after taking my boards.

Do you know anything about Doctor's Hospital? I have an interview with them this week for an ER position but not sure if I want to stay in Columbus or go back to California to practice after taking my boards.
I am sorry I do not. Isn't that in Akron or Canton? Things tend to be a little better in Ohio the further south you go from Cleveland. I have always understood that California is the not the best, either, mainly because so many doctors and NPs go there and the competition is tighter for jobs. The best states for PAs by my experience are: NC, MI, MN, AZ. I am sure there are others. In general, I would say that unless you have a personal reason for wanting to stay in Ohio, you'd best get out and start out in another state. But that is just me.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Surprising since they recently hired a program director.  In a recent program update he even gave a startup date:

"It is my pleasure to inform you of the new Physician Assistant Program that will begin June 15, 2015, affiliated with the School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences and the College of Medicine here at The Ohio State University.

Donald O. Mauger MPAS PA-C "

• 2 weeks later...

Recieved an email from Mr. Mauger here recently forwarded from some other director within the college that confirmed that Ohio State will NOT be going forward with a PA school.

Very very dissapointing.

:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

On the other hand, the Ohio University PA program is due to open this summer in Dublin, a Columbus suburb. I don't know when students will be accepted.

The main campus for OU is in Athens. They are also opening a medical school (DO) program in Dublin with a primary care slant.

I personally know the program director of the University of Dayton PA program and it is on its way to full accreditation.

"The Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) has granted Accreditation-Provisional status to the University of Dayton Physician Assistant Program.

Accreditation-Provisional is an accreditation status. The status indicates that the plans and resource allocation for the proposed program appear to demonstrate the program’s ability to meet the ARC-PA Standards, if fully implemented as planned. Accreditation-Provisional does not ensure any subsequent accreditation status. It is limited to no more than five years from matriculation of the first class."

Archived