CNA vs. PCT for direct patient care hours

I am in the process of getting my CNA certification to get direct patient care hours. A Florida CNA training program offers a package deal such that once I pass my CNA exam, I could come back and take a Patient Care Tech certification class/Acute Care Support Tech class. With the additional money/time is this worth doing, or am I better off just getting my CNA certification? I have heard some people are hired as CNAs and then trained in the hospital to be PCTs, but I assume you would have a better chance of being hired as a CNA or PCT if you already had PCT training?

Thats odd, a PCT is a CNA where I am from. I am a PCT on a med/surg floor at a major hospital in north Delaware and I dont even have a CNA license, the manager hired me because I had my B.S from college and wanted to be a PA. I networked when I shadowed one of the Thoracic/Vascular surg PA's made friends with the chief surgical resident at the time who was good friends with a lot of the nurse managers at the hospital. Plus with how hospital HR's run, its better to have an "in" than be one of the 100+ applicants applying for that one job.

You need to take a look at the job market and see what people are looking for. If everyone wants PCTs or prefers PCT training, then you should seriously think about getting it. Otherwise, it might not be worth the money.

If money is no object, you need to figure out which is going to allow you to see more and do more. At the end of the day, quality HCE will only benefit you and your future patients. PA school is tough enough and you want to at least be able to speak and understand some of the language of medicine before you get there.

Checko

Archived