Electronic books vs the real thing

I was just curious about how others felt about getting their text books on an electronic device as opposed to an actual book. I'm really debating about which route to go. I'm used to paper books, and my main issue with electronic books is that you can't have multiple books open at the same time. However, some people prefer electronic books because you can have them with you on your rotations. For those of you that do use electonic books, why is that your preference?

I've just started using them and the biggest reasons are they are far more portable (you can take as many with you as you want), they are searchable, and you can open them on any device anywhere. As for having more than one open at a time, the rare instance I've needed to do that I have one pulled up on my laptop and the other on by tablet (I use Kindle) or my external monitor, so I could open 3 books if I ever needed to. I also like to put the ebook on my external monitor while writing something, which is easier than having a book open on your desk (at least to me). One big drawback of electronic books is that you can't sell them back, so I only buy e-books that I know I will want to keep. Also, not all books make good e-books - those full of charts, tables, etc. don't always look so great, so I always review the e-book carefully before I buy.

I've recently started using e-books (not text books) on an ipad. I generally like the convenience, portability and ability to read in low light, but I have observed a couple of negatives also. One, it's heavy. Holding the ipad in your hand for more than a couple of minutes becomes a pain. You need some type of stand or you need to prop it somewhere. The screen is shiny so it reflects ceiling lights really bad when indoors. I've also noticed a lot more typos's and errors in e-books, errors like paragraph breaks in the middle of sentences and long words being broken in two, like "approx imately". It's like the program that was used to convert the book into an e-book messed up and nobody proof-read it.

My biggest problem is that now I'm carrying an ipad around, not a book. I can't leave the ipad in my car when I park it like I can with a book. When I get up to refill my cup at lunch while reading I have to worry about someone swiping the ipad while I'm up.

All in all, I still prefer paper.

I tried e-books. I tried using books for free online through library. Could not do it. It all depends on what you are used to. I NEED To highlight and make side notes in my books (making highlights in e-books is a pain!). E-books are completely useless to me. Plus, reading a book > staring at a computer/ipad screen all day.

I tried the electronic book route, and absolutely hated it! Why? Some of the e-books that we used didn't have all of the pictures that the paper books have, and when lectures are being given, professors reference page numbers that coincide with the the paper books, and do NOT match up with the e-book. I ended up re-buying all of the "core" books in paper version. I have always been a paper book kind of person, some people in my class do like the e-books.

Thanks for the replies. I remember reading somewhere that studies have actually shown people learn better and retain more info from paper books as opposed to electronic. Don't know how much merrit there is to that, but I wonder if my mind would associate my ipad with games, music, movies, which would be harder to focus on reading on the ipad. Anyway, I decided to go with paper.

Archived