Bachelor level PA

I am not an active poster on these boards, but I do read a lot. Recently I came across a thread about a doctorate level of training being available for PAs to "compete" with DNPs. My issue is, I have applied at Pennsylvania College of Technology for the PA program and will find out if I am accepted in March. The program is accrediated but is a bachelor level program. There is an option to take an online master's degree during your clinical year through a sister college (nova northwestern florida perhaps?). Would potential employers look at this kind of training as a lower standard than the master degree programs?

From what members of the board have said, as long as you have a PA-C after you name it really doesn't matter if its a certificate, Bachelors, or Masters program. Regardless of the level of degree awarded, each program is required to meet a minimum standard in the education it teaches. Good luck.

Guest Paula
I am not an active poster on these boards, but I do read a lot. Recently I came across a thread about a doctorate level of training being available for PAs to "compete" with DNPs. My issue is, I have applied at Pennsylvania College of Technology for the PA program and will find out if I am accepted in March. The program is accrediated but is a bachelor level program. There is an option to take an online master's degree during your clinical year through a sister college (nova northwestern florida perhaps?). Would potential employers look at this kind of training as a lower standard than the master degree programs?

If you get in take the Masters option. You will need it as the Masters PA is the entry level and terminal degree for PAs.

Guest Paula

I graduated with a Bachelors in 2004. The program was in the process of converting to a Masters and succeeded in 2008 or so. I just finished a masters completion program this week! Yeah!

I graduated with a Bachelors in 2004. The program was in the process of converting to a Masters and succeeded in 2008 or so. I just finished a masters completion program this week! Yeah!

My #1 choice offers an AA but has the option of doing the St. Francis MMS program in the clinical year. I am finishing up my BA now so I can take part in the MMS program. seems the best option for me. Plus having a BA degree will broaden my options, in case I dont get in, I can apply to other MA programs.

From what members of the board have said, as long as you have a PA-C after you name it really doesn't matter if its a certificate, Bachelors, or Masters program. Regardless of the level of degree awarded, each program is required to meet a minimum standard in the education it teaches. Good luck.

This is not the case in the N. Texas area. Many job postings by health care networks/hospitals specify that they want MS level PA's. Short-sided from the perspective of disqualifying those who may have more experience by having graduated with a BS before the MS programs became the norm but it may be a credentialing standard from their perspective. CVS branded MinuteClinic's will only consider MS as well. For some of us, getting the MS doesn't make financial sense due to anticipated time left in practice and the inherent cost of the program. There is a local network that will accept BS PA's who wish to work part-time such as myself as I go back to school for my paramedic certification.

Archived