Help with stats question...

First I will tell you a little information about myself.. I am currently a level 4 Registered Respiratory Therapist and have my bachelors in it. I have been working at a Level 1 trauma center for 4 years and have gained tons of experience from all kinds of patients. My GPA in my respiratory program was a 3.7 and 3.9 in my bachelors program. However I kind of screwed up in my chem classes. I truly hate chem with a passion. In chem 1 I got a C, in Chem 2 I had to WD the first time and the 2nd attempt I got a B. Organic I was able to get a B also. Since I know they tend to focus strongly on chemistry will this inhibit me from being accepted. All my other sciences I either got As or Bs in. My overall cumulative college GPA is 3.2 ( I screwed up my first 2 yrs out of high school). I will be 30 when I apply and I am hoping they overlook my chemistry problems and focus more on my GPA in my medical classes and my critical care experience. I have yet to take my GRE. I am just worried about my chemistry bc I really do not want to take them over. Thanks

I am not belittling chemistry but in the grand scheme of things are we really looking at the chemical composition of the medications we deliver. In inorganic chemistry, we learn about balancing chemical equations, valence electrons, and chemical bonds. None of this is foundational to a PA because we do not need to know the chemical composition. We need to know the pathophysiology pharmacology and the pharmocokinetics of medications (granted in some instances such as the action of adenocard we see organic chemistry at work). Long and short of it is you improved your grade, you have great experience in the healthcare field, and as long as you do fairly well on your GRE you will be fine. Write a killer statement and you will be in there like swim wear!

no worries. a single C will not sink you. I too got a WD in chem 2 the first time around(terrible teacher and I knew this the day of the first midterm-the last day to withdraw). I did well the 2nd time around and got an A with a different teacher.

(I actually thought this question would be about statistics(as in actual math stats). I am in a biostats course now so thought I could help out if someone was having a problem finding the standard deviation and variance in their scores....:) )

Archived