Are BS/MPA programs worth it?

the traditional path also includes getting some health care experience before application to pa school. this can be done before college, during college, or after college or a combination of the above.

I'm not a big fan of the direct entry combined programs as I feel they short the applicant on health care experience before the clinical phase which is crucial to success on rotations.

It's tough to be 18 and also have to pick a path that takes you that far. I am an advocate for getting a degree in something you would like to do and then going to a professional program, like PA or med school. This gives you options and time to figure out who you are.

I've changed careers several times in my life and there was no such thing as a PA when I started college. So do what you want, prepare well, and keep your options open. Your interests, and the outside world, will both continue to change.

Good luck!

My daughter is in one such program. If you are a dedicated and driven student, these programs are a great way to get started in life. (Note: very few students out of high school are either.) I've talked to faculty and admissions people at schools that accept both freshmen admits and "traditional" students. They all say the freshman admits do better in the last 2 years...probably because they were able to mold them the way they wanted and the students are already comfortable with the school and their classmates.

All programs require you to get varying amounts of HCE before you start the final 2 years of the program. My daughter just got her CNA certification after her freshman year and will be working as such for the next 2 years.

If after the first couple of years you decide you want to switch into something else, you've been basically a pre-med/biology major so you have many options.

I've listed the programs in other threads...search.

I was accepted into one of these programs (Drexel) out of high school and decided to turn it down to go to another college. My gut was that I wanted to be a PA, but I felt that making this decision at 18 was maybe a bit naive, and it would be better to explore my options while in college. I ended up still deciding on the PA profession, and though my current path to PA-C is a bit longer, I would make the same decision 100 times out of 100 times. I agree with the above that it is helpful to get more HCE while in college. I took that seriously, and my experience has been ridiculously beneficial and has helped secure my decision. College is such a formative time; students change majors, transfer, blah blah blah. I just wanted to at least give myself that opportunity. Also, I absolutely loved my college and value my education greatly.

Furthermore, I think my decision to decline my first PA acceptance ultimately helped me as I applied to programs last cycle. Lots to talk about in the interview and I think it showed that I really took the time to consider all options and make an informed decision about my future. I was accepted to my first choice (Yale) and I start this fall.

Nothing against BS/MPA programs, they can be great, but college is all about having an open mind. Hope this helps.

-Tim

Archived