First job offer - per diem?

Hi everyone. I just graduated (5 days ago) taking the PANCE in 2 weeks.

I got offered a per diem position at a start-up pediatric urgent care center that will open in mid-July (2 months from now). The attending is in the process of renovating the office and has a front desk, rad tech, medical assistant, nurse, and 2-3 PA's (all per diem) from the local emergency department on board. Everyone is friendly and kind and willing to help one another out. The attending expects/hope for commitment in all employees (+2 years in place) - but not in contract

This is my first offer (FINALLY) for a job in Boston (I've interviewed at 3 other places and this is the only offer so far).

About the position:

-$40-50/hour with undecided shifts per week (most likely 2-3) - still talking it out

-malpractice with tail

-training for ~3 months

-attending will be in office everyday

-attending will consider to change position to full time once she sees the patient load within the first couple of months

Should I search for a full time position with benefits and then find a per diem job or accept this one NOW and find a FT position?

THANKS!

what is your plan for covering your medical/dental/vision/cme/licenses/dea, etc ?

If you can cover those easily then a per diem job is fine, if not, you need to find a benefited position.

3 shifts/week = 24 to 36 hrs at most places. that sounds like a benefited position to me....I used to get benefits at a 20 hr/week part time position that I had in addition to a full time job.

what is your plan for covering your medical/dental/vision/cme/licenses/dea, etc ?

If you can cover those easily then a per diem job is fine, if not, you need to find a benefited position.

3 shifts/week = 24 to 36 hrs at most places. that sounds like a benefited position to me....I used to get benefits at a 20 hr/week part time position that I had in addition to a full time job.

She said that shifts would typically be at night, so 5p-9p and weekends since the AM won't be that busy with patients. Roughly if I'm allowed to work 3-4 shifts, that'll be 12-16 hours. I would have to cover the medical insurance, CME, licensing and DEA. 

Should I ask to be reconsidered after I find a FT job with benefits or is that inappropriate?

40-50/hr = potentially > 100k/yr for full time hours doing urgent care...not bad for a new grad....

40/hr= 83,200

50/hr= 104,000

something in between sounds like a pretty nice rate...especially in an impacted market like boston

40-50/hr = potentially > 100k/yr for full time hours doing urgent care...not bad for a new grad....

40/hr= 83,200

50/hr= 104,000

something in between sounds like a pretty nice rate...especially in an impacted market like boston

EMEDPA, what you describe is a rate for a full benefit job. 83K for contractor position is less than traveling RN makes per diem. Current rates for new grad jobs on 1099 that I see people getting at $65-80/hr. 40-50/hr that's jobs with 4 weeks PTO, health, dental and other fringe. Residents moonlight for 100/hr, I mean c'mon. We can not do this to our profession.

@50/hr this starts to makes sense. Use the position for experience if pediatrics is what you really want to do, and keep looking for full time employment in the meantime. 40/hr for per Diem, new grad or not is a no go.

What concerns me more about the offer is how it is very noncommittal, which would make me wonder how invested the attending will be mentoring a new grad...

Archived