Interview Question? "Tell me about yourself"

Hi everyone! So I have been offered my very first interview invite! I am so excited and sooooo nervous! It is just 3 weeks away!!!! After talking with some students who went there, they said the main part of the interview that is weighted the most is the panel interview with 3 PAs. I know they will obviously ask: tell me about yourself. What is a PA? and Why do you want to be a PA? Now these questions sound easy and I do have real and honest answers for each of them, but I am having trouble organizing my thoughts so my explanations and reasoning doesn't sound like a nervous jumbled mess, or some cliche textbook answer. Here are my answers/questions:

#1 Tell me about yourself: Since they already have my PS, and that says a ton about myself, how to I summarize/add anything?? Do I need to reiterate where I am from, how I got into healthcare, and why I am pursuing the PA profession. Or, should I just focus on what I am currently doing, where I work, and my plans for PA school???? Sorry I feel like I am over-analyzing this, but I don't want to screw up on the 3 first questions! haha

#2 What is a PA? Should I give a semi-textbook answer and then add my personal view of what a PA is? For example: A PA is midlevel provider that works with his/her supervising physician and can diagnose, treat illnesses, and prescribe medication. The PA profession was created to help with the shortage of physicians and to make healthcare more accessible. PAs are extremely important in healthcare as they shorten patient wait time and increase overall patient volumes and scheduling flexibility. The PAs that I work with are knowledgeable and compassionate providers that work with their supervising physician to offer exceptional healthcare services in an affordable and accessible way.

Then transition into why I want to be a PA.....

#3 Why do you want to be a PA: Since the PA profession was created for those who have healthcare experience, I like how I will be able to integrate my current knowledge and skills as a cardiac ultrasound tech into my future practice as a PA. PA training will give me the knowledge and tools I need to broaden my scope of practice and be more directly involved in my patients' care. The lateral mobility of the PA profession is also appealing since I will be able to practice in primary care and pursue my passion of working with the underserved and IHS, but I may also have the opportunity to specialize in Cardiology and incorporate my prior healthcare experience even more.

I having the most trouble with #1 "Tell me about yourself", I feel that it would be important to mention a brief description of where you come from, your healthcare experience, and when you decided to become a PA- but then you basically answer all three questions in the first question............Again...I know this seems overkill, I just gotta nail this!

Do yourself a favor and spend the 20 bucks on Rodicans interview book for PA school. It lists a bunch of questions and different ways to answer them to help you prepare and organize better. None of the questions are "earth shattering" and can be found online, but it's nice to have them all with analysis in one place.

While your sitting around pondering all this, what if you broke your life down into a "patient report"?

"39 yo male presents with past history of EMS work for the past 23 years. Occupations include emt, corpsman, surgical tech, firefighter, paramedic. Secondary occupational multipliers includes wilderness medicine training, whitewater safety instructor. Family hx of spouse, three kids, ages 6 (twins) and 9. Social hx of foreign travel, most recently to Argentina. Originally from the Northwest, lived out east for 17 years, now back in Oregon. Enjoys skiing.....blah blah blah.

Then from there you distill that patient report into key elements of what you really want the AdCom to know. It's just a way to get your thoughts organized, review what you think about yourself, add/delete portions that you feel are relevant or not. After a few passes through the mental processing unit you can end up with a 30 second blurb about you and what makes you special.

Right now just from your post I can draw a picture of a motivated individual with medical experience dealing with critical patients. You are detail orientated and constantly evaluate ways to promote self growth. With an eye on the future and a foot on a solid past you visualize your growth to be strong and successful based upon your experiences and mindset. You are self critical and realize that arriving to answers quickly without time to consider them in depth is not a strong point of yours but you are not afraid to research in order to deliver a more comprehensive answer to complex questions....

I could go on but am out of time for now.

I think Rodican recommended having some sort of "unique selling proposition" or something like that that you use in your answer of "tell me about yourself." I think I said something that summed up a bunch about me like, "I have BS in Evolutionary Anthropology from the University of Michigan, where I graduated with a 3.6 GPA. I maintained this GPA while never working less than 20 hours/week in a variety of settings including waiting tables, private home healthcare, and a psychiatric ED. I also volunteer with the american red cross, therapeutic horseback riding, and a few other local organizations. I've wanted to be a PA for the last 4 years, so I am really excited to be here today and be hopefully one step closer to reaching my goal." (Big smile at them and wait)

I kind of figured that since they were interviewing multiple people each day it was good to refresh their minds on who I was.

Thanks for your help mackjacks! After you answered the "tell me about yourself", then did they proceed to ask the famous, "why PA?" I think it seems like a natural question after your response since you didn't go into to much detail about the "why". I have a really good answer lined up for the "why" question so I am hoping this gets asked separately after the "tell me about yourself" and they don't expect me to tell them that as part of the first question.

Thank you!! If I remember right you were accepted to RMC, so wish me luck!

As always, best thing ot do is talk to alumni, go to info sessions, and read the school's website, because each school will have a different take. My 2 cents: keep the answer between 30-90 seconds, tell them something about you that a) they don't know from your application b) makes you more of a person. This question is usually less about your answer and more about how the conversation starts.

I've grown up in Texas my whole life, my wife and I love to travel and we're making sure our 2 year old to like it too (not in application). Just after I finished college, I went through a reboots of shorts starting with losing 65 pounds and training for triathlons (humanizing) and culminating professionally with this interview (next question).

Something like that.

I've grown up in Texas my whole life, my wife and I love to travel and we're making sure our 2 year old to like it too (not in application). Just after I finished college, I went through a reboots of shorts starting with losing 65 pounds and training for triathlons (humanizing) and culminating professionally with this interview (next question).

Something like that.

I honestly think that is kind of a weird reply. To me, it seems like a lot of random personal (wife, kid, travel, weight loss) stuff that, yeah, is cool, but isn't appropriate in a professional interview.

@medgirl91 I do not remember if they asked "Why PA?" or not. I know that somewhere that was the first question I was asked the second I sat down, and it kind of threw me off guard! I know RMC was the only school that asked me to tell them something fun about myself. :smile: I told them I love to cook and bake because I find it a great way to be creative AND productive, and they joked that if I brought them brownies I was in. Also talked about running...they were really good about making the interview a conversation, whereas some schools were more like "Oh, you run. *Reads next question off a list*"

No idea what your response to "Why RMC?" is like, but I want to suggest that it focus more on what you can do for the school/give back than why the school is good for you. Kind of like if you're running for class president you should say "It would be an honor and privilege to serve you as president" not "I really want to be president because..." Should be easy since you're from there and it's your community and you want to stay there! Maybe down the road when you have experience you can precept for them/be guest lecturer, etc.

FWIW, the school I attend didn't ask any of those questions. I assume it's because, like you pointed out, it was all in our applications already. If you practice and practice what you think they'll ask, and then they ask something you didn't even think of, are you going to freeze like a deer in headlights? I definitely think you can over-practice/think these things.

Are you interviewing at RMC? I also interviewed (and was accepted) there, and found the staff really easy going and welcoming. I don't feel like they were intimidating or trying to trip me up. What helped me was actually voicing my answers out loud, which I did on the 10 hr drive to RMC. -_- You can think brilliant ideas in your head, but you have to be able to vocalize those thoughts to others to be an effective communicator.

Also, I'd advise against the book. You want to sound like you, not like everyone else who's read the book. Should you want it anyway, get it from your local library. Even my small city library had a copy. Wahoo, saved $20! :)

Best of luck!

I honestly think that is kind of a weird reply. To me, it seems like a lot of random personal (wife, kid, travel, weight loss) stuff that, yeah, is cool, but isn't appropriate in a professional interview.

All the more reason to find out from the school. I had an admission director give that one to me almost verbatim, but I'm sure that would also be a weak answer at some of the other schools. Each program has their own quirks and personalities so it really depends on who is asking.

Thanks again everyone!! I appreciate the advice!! :)

@L.a.lewis- yes I am interviewing Oct. 5th!!! I am sooo excited but soo nervous! I want to be accepted soo badly!! Did they ask you any ethical questions? Or do you remember anything that may have been the key to your acceptance? I really want to stand out and make them feel I know exactly why I want to be a PA and that this program is a perfect fit. I am from Montana and I plan on staying here forever, so it is natural that I am trained here! haha

Thanks mackjacks!! As for "Why RMC?" I want to talk about how I am from montana and I would love to stay and practice here- in the rural areas and with IHS. I want to give back to my community by serving in areas that need it most which aligns with RMC's mission and goals. I like your idea about staying involved with RMC after I become a PA!

****Another question------ So after talking to some staff at RMC they said they are tired of hearing about students that "have a desire to work with underserved populations". It becomes a cliché response since experience working with the underserved is something that is mentioned on their website and students use it to try and get brownie points. -----But here is the thing- I actually have volunteered with IHS and I did enjoy my time working with them and I do actually want to work with the underserved for a few years when I am done with PA school. My biggest fear is I DONT want to sound cliché! Should I start by saying "I don't want to sound cliché but I actually do have a passion for working with the underserved populations, especially IHS sites. ..then talk about my experience.."??????? Thanks!It is little things like this that stress me out! haha. I want them to know I am genuine!!!!

yup, "ruraL" or "inner city" is probably better than "underserved" but only say it if it is true or the follow up looks like this:

so where do you want to work?

in a rural setting doing family medicine.

I see all your prior experience has been working for a cosmetic dermatologist in beverly hills. if rural health care is so important to you why aren't you doing it now?

I uh, well, you see I get free mani-pedis, I mean the guy is really cute, um, what was your next question.....

but yes, communicating that you want to work with "the underserved for a few years after finishing PA school" certainly is cliche'. a smart answer wouldnt paint a picture of you as someone who wants to spend enough time among "underserved" folks to collect your nhsc tuition reimbursement, and then move on to more lucrative endeavors. they would probably like to think that you would offer more to the tribes than a newby, inexperienced PA that will leave just as they are starting to be a decent provider. if i were evaluating someone, id hang on every verbal intricacy that i could to separate the folks that will follow through with what they say about the underserved versus the posers.

so no matter what, you are hemmed in by the fact that anyone with a brain knows that serving the "underserved" is par for the course. id be interested to see how long that approach worked for the pioneers of application rhetoric who wrote essays and interviewed in years past before instructions for doing it showed up in print on the bookshelf.

Thanks for the help PAMAC. :) My biggest fear is sounding like a poser. Though I don't want to spend my WHOLE career with IHS, I do want to stay in Montana in the rural areas (where I grew up) and practice. Since I have so much background in cardiology, I am definitely going to mention that I am interested in possibly specializing in that as well. (plus 4 of the PAs on staff, including the director have a cardiology background, so that's cool). This is one of the main reasons why I love the PA profession- lateral mobility! I can to primary care with IHS AND cardiology while working in good ol' rural Montana!

Archived