1099 Per Diem Position

Hi all,

1.5 years urban/city ED experience.

Finally started applying for per diem positions. Hit one with an urgent care company via a recruiter. UC company is interested, my friend actually works there and loves it. However, it is a 1099 position with an hourly rate of $67/hr, which is quite low for a 1099 spot. Was hoping for at least $72-75.

Thoughts on the matter?

Haha, glad I posted this ASAP before accepting anything. My friend informed me that since she is FT and not through a recruiter, she is on a traditional W2, so she's not having the same issue.

What would be a good rate in terms of a 1099 per diem position?

The rate you'd expect for W2 x 0.3 is a good start

You cover both sides of FICA and payroll tax and lose out on all benefits.  They are offering you a decent rate for a W2 position relative to what you are going to bring in for them.  So I'd say your starting point is in the $80/hr range or so

W2 X 1.3 is good start, but then it depends on the situation.  

$60/hr 1099 isn't bad if your doing 24/48/72 hour shifts and seeing 8-10 patients per day.

If you do 3 straight 12 hour shifts for $85/hr in a busy place you're probably not doing much between shifts except recovering/sleeping...and you'll make $3060.

If you do 72 hour shift at $60/hr you make $4320.  

BTW - When recruiters call me for 12 hour locums jobs I tell them I will think about it for $100/hr for 1099, plus travel expenses.  I've had some bite on that, but I haven't followed through on that yet.

If someplace is desperate enough to pay a recruiter THOUSANDS of dollars to find us, they are desperate enough to pay someone a LOT to go there to work until they find full-time coverage.

As head hunters call me and make offers I always try to reply honestly with the following

"I make $80/hour at my reg full time job, with full bennies, PTO, CME, vacation, and a nice retirement. Your offer of $65 1099 is laughable and so far out of reality that I have no choice but to decline....".

I am fully aware I will never get the position they are offering to me, but I am letting them know that the offer STINKS and if they want to hire an experienced PA they need to up the offer. Docs get something like $300/hour I have heard so $100/hr for PA is reasonable......

(Above numbers are edited to not give away to much info on my salary, but the point is the same)

Archived