PA pre-reqs next semester - 4 classes(w/lab) too much?

I'm 31, a non-trad trying to get into PA school. I graduated with a Liberal Arts BA in 2015. Currently taking prereqs at a local cc and have gotten good grades so far. I've taken 2 classes Spring of 2016 (Gen Chem 1 and GenBio 1), 1 class in the summer (Gen Chem 2) and currently taking Orgo 1 and A&P1. So far all A's. Decent GRE (318)...might take again to try for a better score. Only healthcare experience I have is volunteering at a local hospital for the past year (about 150 total hours so far). I also may start shadowing a PA soon. 
I know it's tough getting into PA school. I will have the prereqs completed for Midwestern PA after this current semester. In order to get prereqs done for Rosalind Franklin, I need A&P2, Biochem and Micro. I am planning on taking these 3, along with Orgo 2 next semester. Is taking these 4 classes (all have lab) in the same semester too much? I won't be working and plan on dedicating all my time to these classes. Are A's possible for all 4? Or should I pace myself and spread things out. I'd much rather get pre-reqs done asap so that I have a better chance when I apply this coming April.  But I also want to get all A's.  Any thoughts?
I might also take the MCAT and apply for med school also within the next few years. Seems like DO may be a better chance for me because of my lack of healthcare experience. Any advice for my situation would be appreciated.

Two things;

1: Your GRE is already competitive, save the $205 :).

2: Are you planning on apply to both PA and DO schools within the next few years? Have you looked at the cost for this strategy?.

• MCAT + Retaking the GRE = $$$$
  • Applying to MD (&) DO schools = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • Applying to PA schools = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Aside from that, you've done an excellent job with obtaining As in pre-requisites. Based on your experience managing to ace those courses, do you think you can do it again with upper level courses? If yeah, I'd say do it up!

I think the biggest thing missing from your plan is healthcare experience.  That is a big part of any application, and I think it shows commitment beyond just being smart and able to do well in school.  It also shows that you have related experience that means you should hopefully be more motivated - therefore you have a better chance of success.

I don't know how admission committees think as I've never been on one, but I would think employed experience is vastly better than volunteering, and of course shadowing at least one (the more the better though) PA is a MUST.

Start by shadowing. If you are actively considering applying to med school, work your way through that decision first. Don't take too many classes at once unless you are reasonably certain that your grade point won't suffer. And that's true whether you decide to do the PA route or the MD/DO route.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm currently a Pre-PA undergrad and I don't think there's any way at all that I could take all of those classes with lab, and get an A in all of them. How many credit hours is that combined? If you can afford to, why not spread them out into the semester following next semester and get HCE like everyone else is suggesting? Killing two birds with one stone at the cost of extra time that you may or may not have.

Archived