Navy HPSP/HCSP Application Cycle 2015-2016

Congrats to everyone so far! Just a heads up..There is an HSCP/PA Facebook page for accepted students.. There you will find current students and active duty PAs who have been through the program..It will be a great resource for you until you graduate from PA school.. You will be verified from the administration who is our current HSCP PA mentor. Hope to see you on there. IM me if you have any problems..Congrats again!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should have an enlistment date on your letter or from the program manager's email. Something to the affect of "you may enlist after March 1, 2016". HSCP covers 24 months, but most programs are 27 to 30 months so in my case. I started school in May of last year, but couldn't enlist until August. Your pay starts the day you swear in. It may take a couple of weeks for that to go through but you will receive back pay. Keep in touch with your recruiter. They will know what to do...Hopefully. :)

Hey all!

Congrats to those who have been selected into the HSCP. What happens next after being selected? Has anyone been sworn in after their final select? How soon after will you start to get paid?

Thank you!

My letter didn't have any specific timeline for enlisting, so it came down to when was a good time for me outside of school needs. I'll actually be going to Pensacola Thursday and taking my oath Friday. I can't wait! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently an O-4 in the Navy looking at HSCP, I understand that during PA school I will be paid as an E-7/officer candidate but when I graduate and am commissioned again will I get O-4 back or something lower? Thank you

Likely you'll come back as an o-3 given time in service and grade. All those without prior officer time come in as O2, but I know an Army O-4 who did the program and started back as an O-3.

This is second-hand information, so please take it with a grain of salt - but I just heard that the board met in February, about ten days ago, and they are expected to release these results within the next seven days. 

Update: Per program manager, the final board met on February 29th, and it usually takes them 7-14 days from the time they meet to release final results. 17 scholarships available, not sure how many kits were received. 

Update (again): My recruiter called today to let me know that I was placed on the alternate list. Congratulations to those who were selected!

I just wanted to say Thank you for all the updates, karebear! They really kept me sane the past few days as I was waiting for results to come out :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am currently active duty NAVY and I am want to submit a package for the HSCP program. I have read the instruction on it and I have a general understanding of how the program works. If I could get guidance on when to prepare my package or who to get into contact with it would be a great help. I have asked for help at my command but no one is familiar with the program only HPSP. I am looking to submit for FY 17-18 seeing as though I will not be done with my degree until May. Any advice would be very helpful, thank you in advance !!

Hi Becca, 

I was active duty Navy when I applied

Typically the cycle begins in October of each year where they will start accepting packages. You can begin your package (or kit as they call it) earlier in the year to save some time on the back end. First thing I would say is to get in touch with a Navy medical recruiter** Career counselors do not know much about this program and are NOT responsible for submitting to Millington. Only the Navy medical recruiters are. Second, much like IPAP, You will need a conditional letter of release from your CO( also an endorsement from him/her). You will route this up to your chain just like anything else. Your recruiter will have all the paperwork needed. You will also need interviews with  three MSCs (preferably PAs) that are O-4 or above and letters of recommendation (on top of what you need for PA school for HSCP). Remember not to neglect your PA school  application while you're applying to PA school. Its just as important..lol. So getting everything into CASPA, interviews, and other in a timely manner is key. Just a little side note. The Navy will not pay for you to go to interviews, pay for CASPA, etc. This is all on your dime but worth it! If there is anything else feel free to PM me. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Hi all thanks for the information!

I was recently accepted into a PA program and I am really considering my options with the Military.

I understand the HPSP covers tuition and also grants a housing stipend but what I am having more difficulty figuring out is the pay after the 3 year commitment begins.

I also have fairly high loans from undergrad and I need to begin paying those once I complete my PA program.  

So does anyone have an idea what the salary is during this three year commitment after graduation?

Thanks for the help!

Hi all thanks for the information!

I was recently accepted into a PA program and I am really considering my options with the Military.

I understand the HPSP covers tuition and also grants a housing stipend but what I am having more difficulty figuring out is the pay after the 3 year commitment begins.

I also have fairly high loans from undergrad and I need to begin paying those once I complete my PA program.  

So does anyone have an idea what the salary is during this three year commitment after graduation?

Thanks for the help!

So HPSP is not longer offered to PAs. HSCP is offered each year with about 17 slots filled each year give or take. The difference between these two programs is HSCP does NOT pay your tuition** It pays you full E-6 pay with full benefits for you and your family. This is around 50K a year while you're in school. You have a three year commitment for this program. One thing to consider in your pay as a PA in the Navy is the yearly bonuses you receive on top of your pay. According to how long you commit, the more you'll receive (up to 40K per year). That being said, if you do HSCP you will only receive around 12K of bonuses for the first three years because of your commitment from HSCP. Once your initial commitment is done you'll receive the full bonus each year. I would say ball park salary for a new Navy PA who has done HSCP would be around 85K not counting the benefits of full medical and dental insurance.  

• 2 months later...

Archived