Navy HPSP/HCSP Application Cycle 2015-2016

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew a general timeline for the application cycle of applying to these scholarships.

I understand that recruiters won't do much with you until you have an acceptance letter in hand. I have some interviews for schools scheduled in September, which should put me at a hopeful acceptance letter timeline of October.

How intensive is the application process as well for those who have done it?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there, I'm applying for the HSCP scholarship as well. Even though I don't have an acceptance letter in hand yet, my recruiter has been amazing with helping me complete the physical exams, proofreading my essay, and helping me gather all of the documents I'll need in preparation to submit my packet for review. As far as a specific timeline goes, my recruiter has told me that the committee who reviews these applications doesn't have set dates for when they meet, so it can be hard to predict when you'll be notified of a decision. 

My package was submitted 1 October 2014 (first day of the new fiscal year = earliest I could've submitted it) and I got the call mid-November, and was sworn in Dec 1. So it took about 6 weeks for me submitting it the absolute earliest I could have. My recruiter always told me the board waits to meet until they have enough packages to review but I'm guessing most candidates try to submit their packages as early as possible.

My package was submitted 1 October 2014 (first day of the new fiscal year = earliest I could've submitted it) and I got the call mid-November, and was sworn in Dec 1. So it took about 6 weeks for me submitting it the absolute earliest I could have. My recruiter always told me the board waits to meet until they have enough packages to review but I'm guessing most candidates try to submit their packages as early as possible.

Exact same story for me. Applicants should get their packets early since it is rolling admission. No guarantee of spots later in the fiscal year.

There was no HPSP for navy when I applied. I don't think they have it now, but I suppose I could be wrong. AF had it, but there were fewer slots, more applicants, and the AF recruiter was a dick who said he wouldn't work with me if I worked with the navy recruiter.

If it is an option, HPSP is better financially for expensive programs. HSCP is better for people with families and prior service. This is because HPSP ends up being more money overall up front with expensive programs. HSCP will likely still have to take loans for HSCP, unless prior service and using GI bill. Second, HSCP gives you more money in your pocket and actually live a pretty decent lifestyle. Plus, it adds to time in service which means you are accruing leave days (I had 60 days of leave to use when I graduated), you make more money as you already have 2 years of service when you become a LTJG, and it's counts towards retirement if you plan on going career.

Yeah, take their advice! Apply as early as possible..You can complete 95% of your application before you get your acceptance letter which can be tedious/time consuming.. I applied somewhat early but my package didn't get boarded until way late in the cycle (not my fault). As a result, I barely got in by the skin of my teeth.. I will be swearing in this month because HSCP only covers 24 months and most schools are around 27 months. Needless to say, I was on my own for summer semester. Still an overall sweet deal. Good luck! To my knowledge, there hasn't been any Navy PA HPSP slots for a few years. 

• 4 weeks later...

When did you receive the good news that you had gotten in? Congratulations by the way! I have been calling my recruiter every week to see of anyone had dropped there spot. He said that people have until the middle of September to commit, is that how you understand it to be? What have you been told. I see that you are at the University of Utah? That is my home state! I grew up in Bountiful.

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion, he is cutting you short. Everyone knows that interviews can go until the end of the year and sometimes the first part of the next year. By December (maybe even sooner) all the slots will be filled for HSCP. He just wants to save time and not waste time with an applicant who is not accepted yet. However, this is a disservice to him and you as you can knock out most of the package without the acceptance which in turn will save time on the back end. This will ultimately have a better chance of being selected... Not to say it hasn't worked in the past. I say revisit it again with maybe a different recruiter or mention you "know" several applicants/Selectees who have started their process before being accepted. He may be able to work with you then. I started my package before I even got my first interview invite. Good luck and let us know if you need anything. 

In my opinion, he is cutting you short. Everyone knows that interviews can go until the end of the year and sometimes the first part of the next year. By December (maybe even sooner) all the slots will be filled for HSCP. He just wants to save time and not waste time with an applicant who is not accepted yet. However, this is a disservice to him and you as you can knock out most of the package without the acceptance which in turn will save time on the back end. This will ultimately have a better chance of being selected... Not to say it hasn't worked in the past. I say revisit it again with maybe a different recruiter or mention you "know" several applicants/Selectees who have started their process before being accepted. He may be able to work with you then. I started my package before I even got my first interview invite. Good luck and let us know if you need anything. 

Everything caleb_jo said is true, based on my experience with my recruiter. I started working with him a year before I received my acceptance letter in August, and now my packet is almost ready for submission. Obviously I haven't been selected yet, but based on what I've learned so far, it's definitely to your advantage to start working with a recruiter well before you have an acceptance letter in your hand. 

He's not a good recruiter. It takes almost no work on his part to at least give you the paperwork to get started on background checks and medical forms. My recruiter also did not know the slots for my year, but worked with me right away. I have half a mind to call him and throw my rank around to make him work. Not that my piddly O2 rank would matter to him.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started the paperwork today with my local recruiter in NY. He told me that he won't submit the paperwork until he can get me physically qualified. Hoping that I do. Anyone have any trouble with the PQ? Also I know several of you were successful in entering the program; have you finished school? If so how do like working as a PA for the Navy?

• 2 weeks later...

I am applying for the 2015-2016 cycle right now, well actually just waiting for PA school interviews. My questions is that I wear glass sometimes to see better while driving, broke my collar bone in middle school, and have a slight spondylolisthesis in my back I was most likely born with. The back only bothers me after driving or sitting for a long time, and even then it is not excruciating, just sore. Any of these sound like a good reason to get denied out of the HSCP? 

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing there are numbers officially available is a relief! My recruiter had been bracing me to expect the possibility of no funding available, etc. At least now I know something and it's just a matter of waiting for the board to convene and review applications :). Good luck to all who have been waiting for the new FY and selection board!

Archived