Best first job to learn internal med? Hospitalist?

Hello. I eventually want to specialize but want a first job in something more general. I am graduating soon and have heard its difficult to get a job in the ED as a new grad where I want to work. I was considering hospitalist but also have been told you can end up doing more babysitting and social work then medicine (just what I was told, this was not my initial interpretation of the job whatsoever).

Can anyone expand on this? What is a good first job to learn the ropes so to speak? Thanks all.

Guest Paula

Family Practice will give you a  nice rounded out experience from patients of full spectrum of age and conditions.  Especially if you get a job in a rural underserved area or inner-city CHC.  Throw in a little urgent care and in a couple of years you can graduate to the ED.

Hello. I eventually want to specialize but want a first job in something more general. I am graduating soon and have heard its difficult to get a job in the ED as a new grad where I want to work. I was considering hospitalist but also have been told you can end up doing more babysitting and social work then medicine (just what I was told, this was not my initial interpretation of the job whatsoever).

Can anyone expand on this? What is a good first job to learn the ropes so to speak? Thanks all.

consider doing a 1 year paid em postgrad residency if interested in em. links to all of them (20) at the top of the em forum here.

Guest Paula

How much does a skillet in FP transfer to inpt care?

After jumping into the frying pan in your first job you will find FP won't necessarily translate to inpatient care as far as knowing how to take care of hospitalized patients.  It will help you get a good handle on conditions like diabetes, heart disease, lung disease, GI, etc., etc. and that will be helpful to know treatments/meds/labs/s/sx etc.

Have you thought of looking for a job in IM where you will be able to round on your clinics patients.......not sure if that even exists anymore.  

From your post you state you want to work in EM (and eventually specialize,

But don't say what...). You do not state if you have any prior healthcare experience (RT, medic, etc.). I assume you have none (the below only applies if you have none).

In my limited experience, getting a first job in a broad field such as internal medicine or family practice is a great way to build a foundation BUT... if you want to work in the main ED and get your foot in the door, you also need to show that you can handle pressure, absorb a lot of info and process that in an acute time pressure setting under significant stress. You are right, many medicine PAs I know (many, not all) do scut (call consults, see floor patients with only social/dispo issues)... getting a first job in a specialty with significant autonomy, critical setting will set you apart from many new grads (and try to get PT in urgent care)... such as neurosurgery (first down to ER to see consults), stroke (my first job), etc... something that is emergent/time critical (I also forgot some internal medicine during my first job... But I learned about myself a lot more and how to deal with acute situations multiple times a day).

Right after I graduated (less than 5 years ago), I asked two PAs from my program on which job should I take, floor medicine or a stroke PA job. One said take the medicine job and get the foundation; the other said take the high acuity; she said you can always go down in acuity (floor medicine) but to work your way up in acuity is much harder. Now I work in the MICU and main ED (and Iearn a lot from both jobs on each shift)... as an aside met the new ED director today, spoke to her for the first time for only 10 minutes... stated if I ever leave my ICU job I could work there FT.

Something else to consider in addition to the above excellent advice.

From your post you state you want to work in EM... you can always go down in acuity (floor medicine) but to work your way up in acuity is much harder.

definitely agree. I did the bottom up method and it took 10+ years to get to where I would have been year 2 after an em residency......( I applied for the only em residency around when I graduated. unfortunately, it closed a few months before I graduated...).

I have 3 years experience FT as a CNA, 1 yr pt in clinical research, a couple years of non-health care work.  

Honestly I am not set on ED.  I would be just as happy or happier to land a GOOD hospitalist gig (not one dealing with dispo problems) than ED.  I do eventually want to specialize and really enjoy hem/onc but want to do a more broad job my first few years.

How can I make sure a hospitalist gig, assuming I can land an interview for one, is going to involve a lot of good cases, treatment, learning etc and not just grunt work, so to speak?

Thanks all for the advice.

Starting with Critical Care (Medical ICU) taught me a broad array of medicine. From silly inpatient problems to emergency situations (codes, unstable arrhythmias, MIs, hemorrhage, perforated bowels) to really, really sick and complicated patients on death's door.

But it was not easy right out of school. Grueling.

The best way to prepare for a job in EM, is with a job in EM.

The thinking is completely different, and the acuity varies from minor to life-threatening.

If the place you have set your sights on doesn't hire without experience, find a different EM job (or residency, ideally, but you indicate that's not feasible for you). You can always switch to your target facility.

Archived