Read my story, I really need you're advice!

My initial plan was to become a pharmacist. However, with the job market being as shaky for new graduate pharmacists as it is, I wanted to really consider PA once again. I was wondering if I should apply to PA schools (mid-October). My current stats are: 3.4 GPA, 3.4 Science GPA, 200 ER volunteer hours, and various extracurricular activities on campus. I know this seems extremely weak at this time, but would I be best served to not apply and take the year off to get more HCE? In addition, do I have what it takes to get into any school in the NJ/NY/PA area with the stats come this October? I really need advice because I'm at a serious cross roads.

I would guess that there are places that you could apply. I do wonder, reading between the lines, whether you have the fire in your belly to go through the training and then the work to be a PA. I enjoyed the journey and the job, but it was something that I really wanted to do, not something I could do because the job market turned down somewhere else.

I know you need a job somewhere, but you should ask yourself what you really want to do. The answer to that, ideally, should be something positive, not the path of least resistance.

Good luck!

I agree with UGoLong, the most concerning thing I think is that you're only picking it because of the job market. It might be beneficial for your application and yourself to take a year and get some more HCE and maybe shadow some. It might just help you figure it out for yourself!

Good luck with your decision!

I thank you guys for responding. I just want to say that PA was always one of my options. And I'm sure you must be thinking: "If this is guy is giving up his primary goal of becoming a pharmacist because of the job market, what makes him think he would have any desire to actually become a PA." I come from a disadvantaged economic background and with the increasing tuition of pharmacy school, I have to consider the job market after making such a heavy investment. Considering my economic background and being limited for most of my life, I think motivation and drive will not be a problem. I definitely understand why you would think so. I just wanted to know if it would be wise to apply in the beginning of the upcoming cycle considering my limited stats?

I'm with them, the HCE will be your weakness. The decision you have to make is if you want to apply to the schools that will consider you with only the 200 hours (and spend the money to apply) or wait the year, beef up the resume and apply to more schools. I suggest waiting. More HCE is always a good idea for numerous reasons and more schools equal a greater chance of getting an interview.

I was in a similar situation two years ago. I could have applied to one or two schools and maybe started PA school sooner, or I could wait a year and apply to many more schools. I waited and now I'm starting at one of my top choice schools. I don't think it would have worked out as well if I had applied earlier.

Archived