process of writing my PS but need your opinion!

I am writing my PS now but I am not sure if I should start over.

My PS starts off with my life events on why I decided to go from pre-law to pre-pa. Half of my PS is about my pathway and motivation of my decision of getting into pre-pa. Second half is my HCE and how it further motivated me to become a PA.

However, when I was reading some samples, it seemed like people mostly talked about their HCE but not really the "process" of how they decided to become a pre-pa. Do you guys think I should shorten the beginning part of my PS?

Any advice??

p.s. I think writing the PS is the most difficult part in the application...is it just me or anyone else think so too??????

Process of WHY you want to be a PA>interaction with a PA>HCE unless HCE influenced why you wanted to be a PA and then you had a good interaction with a PA while doing HCE. Seems a little weird, but they want to know why you chose PA over say pre-med, nursing, AA, RN, RT, PT, etc. They want people who know they want to be a PA.

Well, I think as long as it flows and stands out, you should be good. Best thing you can do is bring it to the writing center at your school, post it on this site, have other people give you opinions (I have some nurses look it over for me at work). Try writing both and see how it fairs.

For me, it is difficult because I suck donkey balls when it comes to writing, but the most difficult was waiting.

Most of my personal statement was about my life events and things completely unrelated to health care. I tied these into why I became interested in medicine and how I was motivated to become a PA. I mentioned travel, majoring in business, etc. It will make your personal statement stand out from other applicants. This is especially helpful if you don't have much shadowing or HCE. As cliche as it sounds, the journey is just as important as the destination. Showing that you've tried other things and have interests outside of medicine will show that you are a well rounded applicant. Best of luck!

P.S. I agree that writing the personal statement is the hardest part of the application. Most applicants will have stellar letters of rec. and good grades. Don't read other peoples' personal statements and compare them to yours. You don't want to sound like everyone else. The personal statement is what sets you apart and gets your foot in the door for an interview.

Archived