Becoming a PA educator

Hi all:

Anyone out there made the jump from being a 100% clinical PA to becoming a professor? I have always enjoyed precepting PA students and medical students as well as patient education, and have been complimented many times in the past by both students and patients as to my teaching style. Wondering re: compensation (how it compares with salaries in clinical practice), and figuring it would likely represent a pay cut. Also wondering whether there is such a thing as a PA educator job allowing time within one's schedule to work a shift on some sort of regular basis in order to keep up one's clinical skills. Any comments/experiences/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

many education positions allow 1 day/week of clinical practice.

Thanks for the reply. I imagine this additional time spent in clinical practice can also make up for the difference in pay for an academic job. So far this is looking more and more like a good way to go... Thanks!

E is right,

Typically, many programs will pay you a set salary for 4 days work per week (except for the PD, who is really there almost all of the time)....

You can then work one day weekly at urgent care, etc. to help make up your salary, OR, you can take it as free time, or research time. This is program dependent though, as some programs require you to work clinically at least one day weekly...

Depending on your education level, you can also teach in other settings.

Mike

the downside is many programs also require you to be present on weekends for interviews...and don't forget staff mtgs.....and some places have publication or research requirements...not trying to talk anyone out of teachig but just go in knowing what you will get and what you are giving up....that being said I will likely try to work as part time faculty somewhere when done with my doctorate.

maybe 3 days/week of clinical practice and 1 day/week of teaching.

the downside is many programs also require you to be present on weekends for interviews...and don't forget staff mtgs.....and some places have publication or research requirements...not trying to talk anyone out of teachig but just go in knowing what you will get and what you are giving up....that being said I will likely try to work as part time faculty somewhere when done with my doctorate.

maybe 3 days/week of clinical practice and 1 day/week of teaching.

Yep. I'm hoping in the next two years to be teaching online part time (asynchronous) in a few PhD/DHSc programs, and to move into a full time faculty research position here. I'm teaching now, kind of informally as faculty for physicians going through a healthcare delivery scholar program, and my Assistant Professor rank is pending. Submitted (really had it last year, but was just shy) and should find out soon. Hopefully Associate Professor within 3-5 years, and full Professor within 10.

I have 5 papers in submission now (3 accepted), and another 9 in draft stage with various collaborators and in various stages of completion (3 basically done, waiting on collaborators to rake me over the coals..LOL).....

1 grant going in (RO3)...another possibly on the horizon...

Peer reviewer (referee) for 4 medical journals (JAAPA, J of Interprofessional Care, J of Health Organisation and Management, and BMC Research Methods) and sit on the Editorial Board of another....(Remote and Rural Health)...

Let me know if you need help with Research Methods this summer E. I will be teaching that soon as 2 courses, one in qualitative methods, and one in quantitative methods.

I feel jumping into a full time academic position might be a dangerous move. Precepting a clinical students and being faculty with a PA Program are two very different jobs. There is a lot of administrative work you may dislike as a PA program faculty member. For example, preparing for accreditation, program interview/admissions, challenges of acquiring clinical sites etc. You may spend a surprising amount of time outside of the classroom or conducting important research, and spending that time on the phone, writing emails, filling out paperwork. I currently am adjunct with a PA Program and was surprised at the amount of unexpected work involved in running a PA program. Circulate your CV ... spend a year doing a few lectures or a physical exam class with a PA program. Speak with faculty during that time and absorb what the job entails before you sacrifice salary for something you do not truly enjoy.

Archived