Locum Tenens

I currently work with a solo ortho doc and prn in the ER. My SP is 62 and will be retiring soon. I plan to stay with him until then, but after that I'm considering doing locums and traveling around. Our kids will be grown and my wife and I are thinking about getting a 5th wheel camper or RV to do travel assignments. Does anyone know anything about doing locums; salary, assignment length, benefits, companies that offer locum tenens assignments, specialties that use locums to fill in, etc.

Guest Paula

I used a local company started by two of my PA colleagues: acpstaff.com The benefits of locum tenens is that you do not have to be a part of any office or administrative politic or be on any committees. You go to work, do your job, and punch out at the end of the day. Assignments vary by location and need. The company I contracted with offered hourly wage, travel, hotel costs if needed, liability and did all the paperwork for credentialing (as much as they could, you still have to fill out some). Most of my locums was in Er or Urgent care. CHeck out acp, they started local in Wisconsin but have expanded to areas like AZ and Florida and other sites.

I have been having a hard time finding locum work. I have been living overseas, and now not working for 2 years no one will want to cover my malpractice. If you do take time off work don't let it be any longer then 18 months or you will have the same issues I am having.

Archived