ortho residency at Illinois Bone and Joint Institute

Guest zachman17

Guest RUSH2112

Hey Zachman17,

Let me know how you like the program as you are going through it. I will be starting PA school this fall and am interested in doing a residency. There are two Michigan residency programs I am considering - general surgery in Grand Rapids and cardio near Ann Arbor/Ypsilanty. Ortho also sounds appealing.

Thanks,

Rush2112

Hey Zachman17,

Let me know how you like the program as you are going through it. I will be starting PA school this fall and am interested in doing a residency. There are two Michigan residency programs I am considering - general surgery in Grand Rapids and cardio near Ann Arbor/Ypsilanty. Ortho also sounds appealing.

Thanks,

Rush2112

Same here, Zach. I will begin PA school in August and am interested in the Ortho Residency. Please let me know how it is. Thanks

Claude

Zach,

What do you think helped you the most in getting accepted into the residency? Was it great recommendation letters, excellent scores from PA School, special contacts, etc.?

What type of applicants are they looking for? I notice that you are relatively young; do they want younger PA's who've just graduated?

• 3 months later...
Guest zachman17

I think the main thing that the program looks for is someone who really wants to go into ortho. They will take people of any age with any background that shows a strong desire to pursure ortho. I think in my class of six the average age is 29 or so. We also come from all parts of the country - WI, MI, CO, WA, and IL.

If anyone is interested in this residency, let me know and I can pass on contact information for the program directors.

Any other questions, just let me know.

-Zach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has any experience with this residency. Just got my aplication sent off in the mail for the 2010 cycle. Its a nervous waiting game again just like applying for PA school. Just wanted to know any first hand experiences of the residency experience at IBJI. Also wondering how the interview/acceptance process experience was.

• 1 month later...
Guest ccopeland
Anyone done it? Anyone doing it this upcoming year?

Thoughts/opinoins?

I'll be starting this residency in early July...

I would love to hear your thoughts on the training you are getting. I will be graduation from my PA school in May and would like to apply for the program at Ill. Bone and Joint Institute. I am from Indiana and this program is only 4 hour from my house. I would also like to know how the application process went and what your thoughts are on what made you successful over other candidates.... You know.... How competitive was the application process. Lastly. How are you doing with the cost of living in Chicago with the pay they are giving.

One more thing. What are your work days like. I have a wife and 2 kids. If I get into a residency will I be saying good by to them for the next 12 months or what.

Best regards.

Charles L. Copeland.

I can not comment on what makes a successful candidate of this residency but my friends who have completed other residencies including ortho have informed me of the expected work hours. I believe as a resident you should expect to push the 80 hour work week allowed and that you will be spending one 24 hour period per week of in house call. The idea is that the time you are away from the hospital is time you are not learning. I think it would be hard with a family and two kids but definately should not hold you back from applying if this is what you want to do. I have applied and hope maybe to see you there.

I'm curious to know what some of the typical days are like for the PA residents in this program? Is it a good mix of O.R. and clinical experience? heavy on the clinical side? typical duties during procedures? any and all other info would be interesting to know. And I think there definititely need to be more Ortho Residencies!

• 4 months later...

Is there anyone on this forum who has completed or interviewed for the Ortho residency at IBIJ. I am interviewing in 1 week for a position and am excited about it. I would just like to hear how previous residents have enjoyed their experience from this residency and how it helped them down the line in their careers.

• 3 months later...

I did. I will be starting this fall and am very excited. It is a top notch program that exposes it residents to many learning experiences and opportunities. No competition with medical residents at all. Only staff with PA residents. If you are interested in more information you may send me a PM.

• 1 month later...

I think it was a combination of the above. A good letter of reccomendation especially from an ortho supervising physician, good grades, and having a passion for ortho will make a student very competative, They must want to sacrafice their time and some salary for a year but it is well worth it for the experience which pays off.

• 1 year later...

Archived