Medical spanish

I too would be interested in knowing this. I have heard from a lot of different people that Rosetta stone is great for general spanish but it is so expensive! Where I currently work we have a patient who is a medical student in her third year of residency and she is going to Peru for a intensive 3 week medical spanish immersion course. She does have a prior spanish background though.

• 4 months later...

We are using the course at patientcarespanish.com as part of our medical spanish class.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Can you give us your general feelings?  I am interested in this program but would like a lil review before I purchase.  What do you think of it? I do have some spanish background but not really medical spanish. 

Can you give us your general feelings? I am interested in this program but would like a lil review before I purchase. What do you think of it? I do have some spanish background but not really medical spanish.

I thought it was a waste of money to be honest, and it left me wondering if my program even checked it out before incorporating it. There are a lot of grammatical inconsistencies and the lessons are solely on vocab while the exams are based on grammar. Essentially it is just a list of phrases to memorize rather than actually learning the language. I can't recommend it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I think it's hard to learn medical Spanish without having at least some basic command.  You may want to focus on that first.

There are some very affordable immersion programs in Central America, where you pay by the week.  I was in Nicaragua for ten weeks this summer.  I had a home stay, and volunteered on an ambulance with the Red Cross in my spare time.  You don't need prior Spanish knowledge, and the low cost of living makes it a bargain compared to traditional venues such as Mexico or Argentina.  I started from scratch, and took care of almost two years of university level Spanish in a summer (I took a placement test when I got back to the states).  PM me if you want more information.

If you can't leave home, Rosetta Stone, while expensive, can be effective for the basics.  I used it for German a few years back, and was able to get around Switzerland.  The key is dedication -- learning a language is a commitment.

Archived