Are the mothers also responsible?

Being a little bit reporter, a little bit provocateur, and more than a little bit interested my colleagues' opinions, And understanding that this may be moved to another section:

The Philadelphia abortion doctor was just found guilty. Guilty of premeditated, first degree, murder of several late term (and now the proper term to refer to late term fetuses becomes cloudy.. Fetus? Product of conception? Infant?) abortants, by "snipping" the spinal cords of several... And of manslaughter of a fetus when a mother was overdosed...

We as a profession ((AAPA position statements, I think, but am not sure) have apparently endorsed a women's right to chose.

My question is, if this doctor is guilty of murder and/or manslaughter, what of the mothers who contracted him to perform it?

Are they not also guilty of arranging for the murder/manslaughter. Seems to me they are more than a little complicit.

And how does this affect the " save the life of the mother" exception for legal late term abortions ( rather than delivery) of otherwise deliverable by c-section fetuses?

I think a pandora's box has been opened ...

Or am I over thinking this, and, as long as the late term fetus is encouraged to expire in-utero before being removed from the womb, I should move along.. Nothing to see here...

So revolting to me, I can hardly talk about it. I'm all for a woman's right to choose but please, let's let it remain in the first few weeks before the heart stops beating. Unless it's a situation where there is danger to the mother or fetus, I am so against late-term abortions. Have the baby and give it up, they'll take it from you the minute you have it. And yes, I think those 'mothers' should be criminally liable as well. Either way I'm glad that 'Doctor' has finally been stopped.

Agree re: health care.

My posit is: the mothers are equally responsible and should be indited as in the least an accomplice to the murder, more accurately as the co-murderer.

They knew enough to discern they were pregnant, and chose to undergo the procedure.. They sought it out.

If he is guilty ( and he is), then they must be also.

RC, this is a tricky and controversial subject. We hear about women who don't realize that they are pregnant (which astounds me because for me it was pretty obvious) so I think it's difficult to say what they knew and their understanding of the whole process. Needless to say it's a sad situation and an unfortunate one.

Okay, in those women who truely didn't know they were pregnant, then I'll settle for involuntary manslaughter.

These women were 8 months pregnant.

Touchy.. Yes..

Morally difficult? No.

Truely ethical positions cannot be conditional.

Empathetic positions, absolutely.. But ethical positions? Nope.

A lot of my desire in posting this is the local community outrage against dr gosnel.. Calling him a murderer (yes), committing black on black crimes..

Those women voluntarily went to him, expressed ly to get rid of the " problem"( my words).

There is black on black crime here.. But it is the doctor AND the mom against the baby.. Not the doctor on the mom.

If the community wants to be outraged, it should be at the frequency of single parent pregnancies, and the huge percentage of thise pregnancies being aborted.. Abortion seems to have become birth control in the inner cities.

The above is my interpreting what seem to be facts..

My question remains: are the moms equally guilty?

If no, why not?

Archived