Should I explain that I was to pursue Primary Care in PS?

Hello Everyone! I'm very interested in pursuing a career as a Primary Care PA. I've worked in clinical research in the fields of smoking cessation and hypertension (2 leading causes of preventable death in the US). I've worked with many low-income patients from small communities where healthcare is neither accessible or affordable. The emergence of the PA profession is one way to increase the number of low cost primary care providers. I strive to be part of this solution, and wish to pursue a career as a Primary Care Physician Assistant. This is the basis of my motivation for becoming a PA. My question is, is it okay to say that I want to work in Primary Care in my PS? Or should I leave that out and instead just focus on wanting to become a PA? What do you think?

Thanks! Kristin

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice! I agree that open mindedness is a great thing to display on an application. I am applying to some schools that are centered on primary care and others that do not mention an emphasis. I'm also going to apply for a national health service corps schoalrship for future primary care providers so although I want to look open minded it may be fairly obvious to ADCOMs that I'm set on primary care. Any other opinions?

Archived