New Grad - Surgery or NHSC?

I'm currently doing my elective in ortho at a hospital with a well established and highly regarded surgical PA service. There are no residents or med students at this hospital and the surgeons and PA's are very committed to teaching. My preceptor says that they are short staffed and are looking to hire more PA's. Not sure what the pay is, but he says it is competitive and I should consider applying. I graduate in August and I feel like there's a good chance I could get on the ground floor with this service, which would be a great start to my career and would open a lot of doors for me.

Here's my dilemma: I have a lot of student loans. If I go with a 10 year repayment plan, I will be paying $1,700 per month. I'm considering doing an NHSC job for a year because there are many clinics near me that would qualify for the max repayment of $30,000 for a 1 year commitment. However, the application cycle wouldn't start until 8 months after I graduate, which means I would be working for almost a year before I would start my contract.

I'm not opposed to doing family medicine for awhile, but if I would rather do surgery in the long run, should I pass up a good offer while it's on the table? A $30,000 tax free chunk off my debt is very tempting, but my preceptor has told me that they do like to train fresh grads. If I wait 2 years, this type of offer might not be around.

What should I do??

<style id="_clearly_component__css" type="text/css">#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; } </style>

Yeah I'm sorry, NHSC is 2 years min. My state has a loan repayment program with a min of 1 year<style id="_clearly_component__css" type="text/css">#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; } </style>

Archived