Long-Term Career Planning

Hi Everyone. I have a question for those who are currently working in the field. I am completing prerequisites to enter P.A. school. I am looking forward to working in Emergency Medicine or Surgery, and I am wondering about long-term career planning.

My question is, as a P.A., is it possible to rise the ranks into positions of leadership? I would, ideally, like to move into leadership in some capacity, but I am not sure what that looks like. In order to become Chief of anything (ER, Surgery, etc), do I need an MD? Or can I compete as a P.A. with similar years of experience?

What about Hospital Administration? I have known two Chief Nursing Officers that were N.P.s, which makes sense as that's the model N.P.s are trained at. However, is that a possibility for a P.A.?

Secondary Bonus Question: Any P.A.s currently working in Surgery? What are your roles/responsibilities? What does a typical day look like for you? As long as I have thought about ending up in healthcare, I have wanted to be a member of a surgical team. As much information as you all are willing to give would be amazing.

Thanks!!

Hi Everyone. I have a question for those who are currently working in the field. I am completing prerequisites to enter P.A. school. I am looking forward to working in Emergency Medicine or Surgery, and I am wondering about long-term career planning.

My question is, as a P.A., is it possible to rise the ranks into positions of leadership? I would, ideally, like to move into leadership in some capacity, but I am not sure what that looks like. In order to become Chief of anything (ER, Surgery, etc), do I need an MD? Or can I compete as a P.A. with similar years of experience?

What about Hospital Administration? I have known two Chief Nursing Officers that were N.P.s, which makes sense as that's the model N.P.s are trained at. However, is that a possibility for a P.A.?

Secondary Bonus Question: Any P.A.s currently working in Surgery? What are your roles/responsibilities? What does a typical day look like for you? As long as I have thought about ending up in healthcare, I have wanted to be a member of a surgical team. As much information as you all are willing to give would be amazing.

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

My question is, as a P.A., is it possible to rise the ranks into positions of leadership?

Yes

I would, ideally, like to move into leadership in some capacity, but I am not sure what that looks like. In order to become Chief of anything (ER, Surgery, etc), do I need an MD? Or can I compete as a P.A. with similar years of experience?

Chief or chairman as a PA? Not likely unless you are talking about a very small rural hospital with no MDs on staff. There are several PAs in leadership who have PhDs, MBAs or other degrees who serve as "medical directors" who are involved in bureaucracy but that's different than a chairman or a chief who has domain over the CLINICAL practice of the department.

The one exception to this is military -- in the military your healthcare experience is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is how long you have served. Thats why military hospitals have "chairmen" or "chiefs" who have zero medical training whatsoever. They dont know anything about medicine, but they hang around for 25 years and so thats how they get promoted to high levels. In fact there are several military hospitals who are run by respiratory techs or patient techs with no other training.

You need an MHA/MBA for that. If that is your goal, I recommend you skip PA school and just get an MBA with healthcare concentration instead. The vast majority of people in hospital leadership are business trained with no medical expereince whatsoever. Doesnt make any sense to go for a PA or MD if 100% administration is what you want to do.

Thanks!!

I'm a surgical PA. I come in every day at 5 AM, usually leave at 7 PM or so. I run the resident team. I split the residents into cases. I choose (and get asked) to do certain cases, where I usually do 90% of the operation with the MD not even scrubbed in yet. The MD comes in for about 10% of the operation and I do everything else. I also take calls from the floor that the residents are not capable of handling.

My question is, as a P.A., is it possible to rise the ranks into positions of leadership?

Yes

I would, ideally, like to move into leadership in some capacity, but I am not sure what that looks like. In order to become Chief of anything (ER, Surgery, etc), do I need an MD? Or can I compete as a P.A. with similar years of experience?

Chief or chairman as a PA? Not likely unless you are talking about a very small rural hospital with no MDs on staff. There are several PAs in leadership who have PhDs, MBAs or other degrees who serve as "medical directors" who are involved in bureaucracy but that's different than a chairman or a chief who has domain over the CLINICAL practice of the department.

The one exception to this is military -- in the military your healthcare experience is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is how long you have served. Thats why military hospitals have "chairmen" or "chiefs" who have zero medical training whatsoever. They dont know anything about medicine, but they hang around for 25 years and so thats how they get promoted to high levels. In fact there are several military hospitals who are run by respiratory techs or patient techs with no other training.

You need an MHA/MBA for that. If that is your goal, I recommend you skip PA school and just get an MBA with healthcare concentration instead. The vast majority of people in hospital leadership are business trained with no medical expereince whatsoever. Doesnt make any sense to go for a PA or MD if 100% administration is what you want to do.

Thanks!!

I'm a surgical PA. I come in every day at 5 AM, usually leave at 7 PM or so. I run the resident team. I split the residents into cases. I choose (and get asked) to do certain cases, where I usually do 90% of the operation with the MD not even scrubbed in yet. The MD comes in for about 10% of the operation and I do everything else. I also take calls from the floor that the residents are not capable of handling.

Yes

Thanks!!

This is fantastic, thank you! Would you mind if I PM'd you with more, specific questions?

This is fantastic, thank you! Would you mind if I PM'd you with more, specific questions?

Could you elucidate on the surgery and what you do that constitutes 90% of the operation? Not asking to be a dick, but I as a non-surgical PA, I just personally have not seen any PA's used in such a manner in the OR.

Could you elucidate on the surgery and what you do that constitutes 90% of the operation? Not asking to be a dick, but I as a non-surgical PA, I just personally have not seen any PA's used in such a manner in the OR.

Archived